~abcdw/rde-discuss

2 2

Do you rebuild test profile often while iterating on rde?

Yury Kholodkov <qeqpep@yandex.ru>
<1504481687181408@x4juaw2jis7pdyw6.sas.yp-c.yandex.net>
I get a lot of feedback from build errors, but have to rebuild profile each iteration (10 times while developing feature-unison as a noob), which is very slow. How do you get around that?

Re:Do you rebuild test profile often while iterating on rde?

Yury Kholodkov <qeqpep@yandex.ru>
<1472291687181787@lduixalyeduyxu6q.myt.yp-c.yandex.net>
In-Reply-To
<1504481687181408@x4juaw2jis7pdyw6.sas.yp-c.yandex.net> (view parent)
If I'm not clear.
I make a change to rde source.
I remove example/rde/channels-lock.scm and make guix to make changes available
Then I build home and look for errors.
I'm now looking how to use local code directly.

Re:Do you rebuild test profile often while iterating on rde?

<875y7jtnah.fsf@trop.in>
In-Reply-To
<1472291687181787@lduixalyeduyxu6q.myt.yp-c.yandex.net> (view parent)
On 2023-06-19 16:36, Yury Kholodkov wrote:

> If I'm not clear.
> I make a change to rde source.
> I remove example/rde/channels-lock.scm and make guix to make changes available
> Then I build home and look for errors.
> I'm now looking how to use local code directly.

Doing guix pull is indeed quite slow :)

The usual way is to set GUILE_LOAD_PATH, which will give a priority to
your local source code over the one provided by guix profile.  There are
examples in the both root and examples/Makefile.
https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/4365d81/Makefile#L14
https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/4365d81/examples/Makefile#L7

Take a closer look at ./pre-inst-env and ./examples/pre-inst-env.

Also, there are a few more tricks to make the feedback loop even
shorter, let us know, when you will need them :)

BTW, you can use -B to rebuild the up-to-date target.

CCed Andrew Zhurov, who probably had some drafts for feature-unison.

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin