~abcdw/rde-discuss

2

Make xdg-flavor default to #t

<878s5cxjs1.fsf@trop.in>
I would like to make all home services set xdg-flavor? to #t by default.
It means use ~/.config/$APP/config instead of ~/.$APP.conf if it
possible.

All the users will be using ~/.config or $XDG_CONFIG_HOME for
configuration files by default, instead of polluting their $HOME.  It
seems preferable for experinced users, it seems a reasonable default for
less experienced users.

The only downside I see is: it can be confusing, when people read some
guides/tutorials and expect to get ~/.zshrc after configuring
home-zsh-service-type or ~/.emacs.d for emacs service, but getting
~/.config/zsh/zshrc and ~/.config/emacs.  Can be solved by mentioning it
in manual+educating users by answering questions on MLs and chats.

Would like to know what you think about this.
<87pmyo6idr.fsf@yoctocell.xyz>
In-Reply-To
<878s5cxjs1.fsf@trop.in> (view parent)
On Wed, Apr 21 2021, Andrew Tropin wrote:

> I would like to make all home services set xdg-flavor? to #t by default.
> It means use ~/.config/$APP/config instead of ~/.$APP.conf if it
> possible.

Yes, please. :)

> All the users will be using ~/.config or $XDG_CONFIG_HOME for
> configuration files by default, instead of polluting their $HOME.  It
> seems preferable for experinced users, it seems a reasonable default for
> less experienced users.
>
> The only downside I see is: it can be confusing, when people read some
> guides/tutorials and expect to get ~/.zshrc after configuring
> home-zsh-service-type or ~/.emacs.d for emacs service, but getting
> ~/.config/zsh/zshrc and ~/.config/emacs.  Can be solved by mentioning it
> in manual+educating users by answering questions on MLs and chats.

Yeah, we could have a section in the manual where we present the
principles/philosophy for Guix Home, and mention the XDG standard.  Guix
itself is already pretty opinionated, and we should educate users about
the XDG standard that more programs are starting to support.
<87bla77u8j.fsf@yoctocell.xyz>
In-Reply-To
<87pmyo6idr.fsf@yoctocell.xyz> (view parent)
Also, if ‘xdg-flavor’ defaults to #t, should we also make the XDG base
directories service part of essential services or something?  Then it
could extend ‘on-reconfigure’ to automatically create the missing
directories.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)