~abcdw/rde-discuss

4 2

No screen sharing with feature-pipewire

Demis Balbach <db@minikn.xyz>
<87bl24lgte.fsf@minikn.xyz>
Hello,

I've been trying out `feature-pipewire' for the last couple of days. I
enabled it in my config and uninstalled `pulseaudio' at the same time. I
noticed that in terms of audio, everything was working like it did
before. Using `pavucontrol' I can see all my devices including BT
headsets, they work just like they did before.. therefore I assume that
pipewire is working properly, at least in terms of audio playback.

I've also watched your video about pipewire and if I didn't miss
anything, than there is nothing else to do other than enabling
`feature-pipewire'?

However, when trying the screen sharing demo at
https://mozilla.github.io/webrtc-landing/gum_test.html, I only see black
screens instead of my desktops, see here:
https://i.imgur.com/9cxT01A.png

Another thing I notices is that when I log into sway I see a couple of
warnings regarding dbus in the tty before sway starts (after enabling
`feature-pipewire' that is): https://i.imgur.com/FS1i7y5.jpeg

Output of `herd status':

---
> herd status
Started:
 + dbus-home
 + emacs-server
 + gpg-agent
 + pipewire
 + pipewire-media-session
 + pipewire-pulse
 + root
 + state
 + state-/home/db/.local/var/lib/password-store
---

Output of `sudo herd status':

---
> sudo herd status
Password:
Started:
 + avahi-daemon
 + bluetooth
 + console-font-tty1
 + console-font-tty2
 + console-font-tty3
 + console-font-tty4
 + console-font-tty5
 + console-font-tty6
 + dbus-system
 + elogind
 + file-system-/boot/efi
 + file-system-/dev/pts
 + file-system-/dev/shm
 + file-system-/gnu/store
 + file-system-/run/systemd
 + file-system-/run/user
 + file-system-/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/devices
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/elogind
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/memory
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event
 + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/pids
 + file-system-/sys/kernel/debug
 + file-system-/var/cache/fontconfig
 + file-systems
 + guix-daemon
 + loopback
 + mcron
 + networking
 + nscd
 + ntpd
 + root
 + root-file-system
 + syslogd
 + term-tty1
 + term-tty2
 + term-tty3
 + term-tty4
 + term-tty5
 + term-tty6
 + udev
 + upower-daemon
 + urandom-seed
 + user-file-systems
 + user-processes
 + virtual-terminal
 + wpa-supplicant
Stopped:
 - term-auto
One-shot:
 * host-name
 * switch-to-sway-tty
 * sysctl
 * user-homes
---

Please let me know if I can help with any other information.

Off-topic: How do you insert the code markers like
code here
?

---
Best regards,

Demis Balbach
<87h7bvfjti.fsf@trop.in>
In-Reply-To
<87bl24lgte.fsf@minikn.xyz> (view parent)
On 2021-11-28 11:23, Demis Balbach wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying out `feature-pipewire' for the last couple of days. I
> enabled it in my config and uninstalled `pulseaudio' at the same time. I
> noticed that in terms of audio, everything was working like it did
> before. Using `pavucontrol' I can see all my devices including BT
> headsets, they work just like they did before.. therefore I assume that
> pipewire is working properly, at least in terms of audio playback.
>
> I've also watched your video about pipewire and if I didn't miss
> anything, than there is nothing else to do other than enabling
> `feature-pipewire'?

In chromium it's necessary to enable #enable-webrtc-pipewire-capturer
flag, I've not done it because there is no home service for chromium
yet, probably it can be enabled for ungoogled-chromium/wayland package
in the wrapper script.  Maybe it can be passed as a command line
argument:
https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/run-chromium-with-flags

> However, when trying the screen sharing demo at
> https://mozilla.github.io/webrtc-landing/gum_test.html, I only see black
> screens instead of my desktops, see here:
> https://i.imgur.com/9cxT01A.png
>
> Another thing I notices is that when I log into sway I see a couple of
> warnings regarding dbus in the tty before sway starts (after enabling
> `feature-pipewire' that is): https://i.imgur.com/FS1i7y5.jpeg
>
> Output of `herd status':
>
> ---
>> herd status
> Started:
>  + dbus-home
>  + emacs-server
>  + gpg-agent
>  + pipewire
>  + pipewire-media-session
>  + pipewire-pulse
>  + root
>  + state
>  + state-/home/db/.local/var/lib/password-store
> ---

LGTM.

> Output of `sudo herd status':
>
> ---
>> sudo herd status
> Password:
> Started:
>  + avahi-daemon
>  + bluetooth
>  + console-font-tty1
>  + console-font-tty2
>  + console-font-tty3
>  + console-font-tty4
>  + console-font-tty5
>  + console-font-tty6
>  + dbus-system
>  + elogind
>  + file-system-/boot/efi
>  + file-system-/dev/pts
>  + file-system-/dev/shm
>  + file-system-/gnu/store
>  + file-system-/run/systemd
>  + file-system-/run/user
>  + file-system-/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/devices
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/elogind
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/memory
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event
>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/pids
>  + file-system-/sys/kernel/debug
>  + file-system-/var/cache/fontconfig
>  + file-systems
>  + guix-daemon
>  + loopback
>  + mcron
>  + networking
>  + nscd
>  + ntpd
>  + root
>  + root-file-system
>  + syslogd
>  + term-tty1
>  + term-tty2
>  + term-tty3
>  + term-tty4
>  + term-tty5
>  + term-tty6
>  + udev
>  + upower-daemon
>  + urandom-seed
>  + user-file-systems
>  + user-processes
>  + virtual-terminal
>  + wpa-supplicant
> Stopped:
>  - term-auto
> One-shot:
>  * host-name
>  * switch-to-sway-tty
>  * sysctl
>  * user-homes
> ---
>
> Please let me know if I can help with any other information.
>
> Off-topic: How do you insert the code markers like
> code here
> ?

Mark a region, do C-c M-m

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin

Thank you.

--
Best regards,
Demis Balbach
In-Reply-To
<87h7bvfjti.fsf@trop.in> (view parent)
Have you noticed any playback issues on sites like YT using PipeWire?
Ever since I enabled the feature, I sometimes can't play any videos. It
would load indefinitely, eventually the video frame would say something
like I should restart my device.

I need to completely kill chrome to make it work again. I'll try to
capture a screenshot next time. But this happens quite often.

--
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Demis Balbach
On 2021-12-03 20:30, Demis Balbach wrote:

> Have you noticed any playback issues on sites like YT using PipeWire?
> Ever since I enabled the feature, I sometimes can't play any videos. It
> would load indefinitely, eventually the video frame would say something
> like I should restart my device.
>
> I need to completely kill chrome to make it work again. I'll try to
> capture a screenshot next time. But this happens quite often.

It happened to me a few times, but IIRC it was happenning with
pulseaudio as well.  The issue happens quite seldom, so I didn't pay
attention.

BTW, sometimes I watch videos from the web using mpv, it uses youtube-dl
under the hood, which supports a lot of web sites, not only YT.  Native
app provides a better and more consistent experience than web players
all around the web.

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin