~abcdw/rde-discuss

1

Upstreaming guix-home-service-type

<87h6j0rqmi.fsf@freakingpenguin.com>
DKIM signature
permerror
Hi all!

There's been some discussion on the Guix mailing list and IRC chat about
how it would be useful to deploy a home-environment as part of a
operating-system declaration. (e.g.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2024-01/msg00151.html and
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2024-01/msg00087.html)

~guix-home-service-type~ in ~rde/src/gnu/services/home.scm~ sounds like
it would be the perfect fit, and also seems like it's fully
self-contained (not dependent on other RDE code).

I think it would be great to upstream this code so it's more
discoverable and easily available to Guix users.

Thanks for your work!

--
Take it easy,
Richard Sent
On 2024-01-26 11:44, Richard Sent wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> There's been some discussion on the Guix mailing list and IRC chat about
> how it would be useful to deploy a home-environment as part of a
> operating-system declaration. (e.g.
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2024-01/msg00151.html and
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2024-01/msg00087.html)
>
> ~guix-home-service-type~ in ~rde/src/gnu/services/home.scm~ sounds like
> it would be the perfect fit, and also seems like it's fully
> self-contained (not dependent on other RDE code).

Hi Richard!

Yep, it's self-contained.  We mostly use it for generating livecd
images[1][2], but probably there are other vaible use cases for it.

Feel free to upstream it.

> I think it would be great to upstream this code so it's more
> discoverable and easily available to Guix users.
>
> Thanks for your work!

My pleasure!

[1]: https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/264f3f26/src/rde/features.scm#L408
[2]: https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/264f3f26/examples/src/rde-configs/configs.scm#L76