~abcdw/rde-discuss

1

Improving Programming Languages Section

<946783fb1c9c0da5a3dc0dbbb3877c04a479ad5c@dismail.de>
Hi Guixers,

How should we improve this section in the documentation?

http://trop.in/rde/manual#Programming-Languages

I guess we can start by mentioning the support for Python, Javascript, Common Lisp, Golang, and OCaml?

What if we provided programming language development guides such as this one that nix has for developing with Python and Flask:

https://nix.dev/guides/recipes/python-environment.html

Out of scope?

WDYT,

jgart

PS

I use RDE BTW
<87wmt3tmgb.fsf@ngraves.fr>
In-Reply-To
<946783fb1c9c0da5a3dc0dbbb3877c04a479ad5c@dismail.de> (view parent)
On 2023-12-24 17:10, jgart@dismail.de wrote:

> Hi Guixers,
>
> How should we improve this section in the documentation?
>
> http://trop.in/rde/manual#Programming-Languages
>
> I guess we can start by mentioning the support for Python, Javascript, Common Lisp, Golang, and OCaml?
>
> What if we provided programming language development guides such as this one that nix has for developing with Python and Flask:
>
> https://nix.dev/guides/recipes/python-environment.html
>
> Out of scope?

IMO, it's not, I guess you can improve these sections. For Clojure,
Andrew did a video about development environments with RDE
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzzxTT1uU-M), there are sparse notes
(https://github.com/abcdw/notes/blob/master/notes/20211130130652-reproducible_dev_environment_for_clojure_with_guix_and_emacs.org)
which may be used as a starting point. Indeed there's also been progress
on these other programming languages, we can indeed start by mentionning
them.

--
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves