~abcdw/rde-discuss

8 4

guix home: Call for Early Adopters

<CABrWRW2xCCbWSE3DAcWns01CmDyoGVAywL6dwyQoAENTrUZqhw@mail.gmail.com>
Guix Home has most essential features ready and now requires some
real-world usage from a few more people to be sure that there are no
fundamental issues with it.

We are looking for 3-5 advanced GNU/Linux users (not necessary Guix),
who want to try `guix home` and are willing to spend some time and
effort configuring it, and in case of issues reporting them to
https://lists.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde-discuss

We will be supporting early adopters in the rde-discuss mailing list on
weekdays.  Also, you can reach us on #guix IRC channel for a casual talk
or quick question, @abcdw and @yoctocell.

On `date --date="2021-04-14 15:00:00 UTC"` we plan a jitsi call, to
make sure that everyone is up and running, provide some help and/or
answer questions.  Will schedule consequent calls if needed.

To participate you need to have a working installation of Guix the
package manager, and have a local checkout of the rde Git
repository[1].  Reply to the thread in rde-discuss [2] with a few
lines about you and/or your technical background and please attach the
output of running `make env-info` at the root of the rde repository to
be sure that Guix and rde are installed and everything works correctly.

See you soon,
Andrew Tropin.

Useful links:
[1] https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde
[2] https://lists.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde-discuss
<4c86e7dc29925c89cc630e71bfe298a5d3618254.camel@zaclys.net>
In-Reply-To
<CABrWRW2xCCbWSE3DAcWns01CmDyoGVAywL6dwyQoAENTrUZqhw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Tue, 2021-04-06 at 20:21 +0300, Andrew Tropin wrote:
> Guix Home has most essential features ready and now requires some
> real-world usage from a few more people to be sure that there are no
> fundamental issues with it.
>
> We are looking for 3-5 advanced GNU/Linux users (not necessary Guix),
> who want to try `guix home` and are willing to spend some time and
> effort configuring it, and in case of issues reporting them to
> https://lists.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde-discuss
>
> We will be supporting early adopters in the rde-discuss mailing list
> on
> weekdays.  Also, you can reach us on #guix IRC channel for a casual
> talk
> or quick question, @abcdw and @yoctocell.
>
> On `date --date="2021-04-14 15:00:00 UTC"` we plan a jitsi call, to
> make sure that everyone is up and running, provide some help and/or
> answer questions.  Will schedule consequent calls if needed.
>
> To participate you need to have a working installation of Guix the
> package manager, and have a local checkout of the rde Git
> repository[1].  Reply to the thread in rde-discuss [2] with a few
> lines about you and/or your technical background and please attach
> the
> output of running `make env-info` at the root of the rde repository
> be sure that Guix and rde are installed and everything works
> correctly.
>
> See you soon,
> Andrew Tropin.
>
> Useful links:
> [1] https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde
> [2] https://lists.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde-discuss

Really Awesome :-)

Could you sign your rde channel? I am not at ease adding unsigned
channels since that's basically RCE into my system :-)

Thanks!!
<CABrWRW3Msh-emUj1wuuTcDOhu-Q937Ci1pTSJ4me4Kd5k_M4GQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<4c86e7dc29925c89cc630e71bfe298a5d3618254.camel@zaclys.net> (view parent)
> Could you sign your rde channel? I am not at ease adding unsigned
> channels since that's basically RCE into my system :-)

It is not intended for use as a channel, at least yet, because
`guix home` will not work without:

export GUILE_LOAD_PATH=~/.config/guix/current/share/guile/site/3.0:$GUILE_LOAD_PATH
export GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=~/.config/guix/current/lib/guile/3.0/site-ccache:$GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH

By "local checkout of the rde Git repository", I meant literal
`git clone` to the local file system)

Anyway, I signed the channel,  the introduction is in the README.  Maybe
later I'll write a guide explaining how to use it as a channel.

> Thanks!!

You are very welcome (: and thank you for motivating me to clean up and
improve things)

Re: Now on-reconfigure automatically evaluated on reconfigure

Andrew Zhurov
<87mtu3sc51.fsf@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CABrWRW2xCCbWSE3DAcWns01CmDyoGVAywL6dwyQoAENTrUZqhw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Greetings!
I am a software engineer, passioned about functional approach.
Clojure is the language of my choice, 3.5y of production experience.
Am using Ubuntu for 5y, I am more of a basic user. Some knowledge of the
shell, little knowledge of login and desktop environment managers.

#+begin_src bash
keeper@haus:~/gits/abcdw/rde$ make env-info
echo -e "`guix describe -f recutils | grep -v intro`\n\
name: rde\nurl: https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde\n\
commit: `git log -n1 --format=format:'%H'`"
-e name: guix
url: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
commit: ec3b73336861eaa27f506d17fdbea573363beb84
name: rde
url: https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde
commit: a1562bd1170801c3825417afa7a4789e83555f89
#+end_src
<CABrWRW2SG3_dd-seNshN4FH552iDi0PtbYvuOFBkq205QSdanw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<87mtu3sc51.fsf@gmail.com> (view parent)
> Greetings!
> I am a software engineer, passioned about functional approach.
> Clojure is the language of my choice, 3.5y of production experience.
> Am using Ubuntu for 5y, I am more of a basic user. Some knowledge of the
> shell, little knowledge of login and desktop environment managers.

Welcome on board, Andrew!)
Will send a jitsi link to this thread ~2 hours before call.

--
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin
In-Reply-To
<87mtu3sc51.fsf@gmail.com> (view parent)
Sending information about today's call.

Link: https://meet.jit.si/GuixHomeEarlyAdopters
Call time: `date --date="2021-04-14 15:00:00 UTC"` It's ~2.5 hours from now.
Call length: ~1-1.5 hour

Agenda:
- Greetings and meetings.
- Introduction to guix home.
- Learning cli basics.
- Setting up basic configuration.
- Questions and troubleshooting.

Prepare you guix, by the end of the day we should have `guix home`
installed and configured!)

See you in a bit.
<87lf9llzpk.fsf@ya.ru>
In-Reply-To
<87mtu3sc51.fsf@gmail.com> (view parent)
Hello!

I am a software engineer, have been using Linux for about 6 years, tried
different distributions (Ubuntu, Arch, Crux, Void). I consider myself an
experienced user.
<874kg9exir.fsf@trop.in>
In-Reply-To
<87lf9llzpk.fsf@ya.ru> (view parent)
Welcome!)

See your file attachement.

See you very soon!)
<87y2dkg5iz.fsf@trop.in>
In-Reply-To
<CABrWRW2xCCbWSE3DAcWns01CmDyoGVAywL6dwyQoAENTrUZqhw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Thank you everyone for participating!  Quite a lot of people (:

Seems almost everyone got up and running.  Post your question to
rde-discuss ML, send your patches to rde-devel.

If we get some frequently asked questions to discuss, some issues or
major updates, we can schedule another call.  Just let me know)

Notes from the call:
https://github.com/abcdw/notes/blob/master/notes/20210414112007-early_adopters_briefing.org
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)