~abcdw/rde-discuss

6 2

Modules broken as channel but build works locally

Details
Message ID
<f2ff4c1f87376b95236835ee15c76b18@dismail.de>
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Hi rde community,

Any idea why my channel fails to find the meow module?

I get the following error:

(repl-version 0 1 1)
(exception misc-error (value #f) (value "no code for module ~S") (value ((confetti features meow))) (value #f))

https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/confetti

I'm completely stumped on why this is. 

I'm able to build and use the modules locally but when I push my config to the channel repo and pull it fails with the above error.

It was not able to find the chatgpt module either with the same/similar error when imported into my conf.scm.

Any help is much appreciated.

all best,

jgart
Details
Message ID
<87r0pg2tlp.fsf@trop.in>
In-Reply-To
<f2ff4c1f87376b95236835ee15c76b18@dismail.de> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On 2023-07-10 00:50, jgart wrote:

> Hi rde community,
>
> Any idea why my channel fails to find the meow module?
>
> I get the following error:
>
> (repl-version 0 1 1)
> (exception misc-error (value #f) (value "no code for module ~S") (value ((confetti features meow))) (value #f))
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/confetti
>
> I'm completely stumped on why this is. 
>
> I'm able to build and use the modules locally but when I push my
> config to the channel repo and pull it fails with the above error.
>
> It was not able to find the chatgpt module either with the
> same/similar error when imported into my conf.scm.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> all best,
>
> jgart

Provide a command/instruction to reproduce, please.

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin
Details
Message ID
<e8fd888330ad92b9aa0214181321e569@dismail.de>
In-Reply-To
<87r0pg2tlp.fsf@trop.in> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
> Provide a command/instruction to reproduce, please.

Hi Andrew,

Add the confetti channel to your channels.scm and do a guix pull.

That will reproduce the error and give you a failing build log similar to the following for inspection:

|builder for `/gnu/store/ij76gfks9z1gn6rci1y7wqp1w3anrhjx-confetti.drv' failed to produce output path `/gnu/store/s0mqamz60r3h0dcharafdrrgqr72m2dz-confetti'
build of /gnu/store/ij76gfks9z1gn6rci1y7wqp1w3anrhjx-confetti.drv failed
View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/ij/76gfks9z1gn6rci1y7wqp1w3anrhjx-confetti.drv.gz'.
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/ii8ccwg5xj6psc94g0rkf985zal2il5r-profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
Details
Message ID
<295355172f6d60dc6e85f61a678cb3a4@dismail.de>
In-Reply-To
<e8fd888330ad92b9aa0214181321e569@dismail.de> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Here's the channel record to reproduce that:

(channel
    (name 'confetti)
    (url "https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/confetti")
    (branch "s")
    (introduction
     (make-channel-introduction
      "e037ffa3a40bcd7807a97a0415ef588b411277c3"
      (openpgp-fingerprint
       "3B1D 7F19 E36B B60C 0F5B  2CA9 A52A A2B4 77B6 DD35"))))

The commit that is failing is the following:

0ffa2edede7a1c3d75eb28b4bbdc6e54353ad123

WDYT
Details
Message ID
<87ilasm5q5.fsf@trop.in>
In-Reply-To
<e8fd888330ad92b9aa0214181321e569@dismail.de> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On 2023-07-10 06:10, jgart wrote:

>> Provide a command/instruction to reproduce, please.
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Add the confetti channel to your channels.scm and do a guix pull.
>
> That will reproduce the error and give you a failing build log similar to the following for inspection:
>
> |builder for `/gnu/store/ij76gfks9z1gn6rci1y7wqp1w3anrhjx-confetti.drv' failed to produce output path `/gnu/store/s0mqamz60r3h0dcharafdrrgqr72m2dz-confetti'
> build of /gnu/store/ij76gfks9z1gn6rci1y7wqp1w3anrhjx-confetti.drv failed
> View build log at '/var/log/guix/drvs/ij/76gfks9z1gn6rci1y7wqp1w3anrhjx-confetti.drv.gz'.
> cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/ii8ccwg5xj6psc94g0rkf985zal2il5r-profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built

This is because you have `(directory "confetti")` in your channel
declaration:
https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/confetti/tree/s/item/.guix-channel#L3

It tries to find confetti/features/meow.scm in confetti/ directory.

Either put confetti/ under src/ and set directory to "src" or
set directory to "." (which I don't recommend).

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin
Details
Message ID
<76720baa4633e8ae6f81cf51a8992d34@dismail.de>
In-Reply-To
<87ilasm5q5.fsf@trop.in> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
> set directory to "." (which I don't recommend).

Hi Andrew, can you explain why you don't recommend "."? I'm not sure why to avoid it.
Details
Message ID
<875y6r2g43.fsf@trop.in>
In-Reply-To
<76720baa4633e8ae6f81cf51a8992d34@dismail.de> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On 2023-07-10 21:27, jgart wrote:

>> set directory to "." (which I don't recommend).
>
> Hi Andrew, can you explain why you don't recommend "."? I'm not sure
> why to avoid it.

Sure.  Using "." makes it impossible to have a few subdirectories, which
can be conditionally used (included in the %load-path) for different use
cases, for example "src/" "tests/" "dev/", last two useful for
development, but not need in resulting build/channel or whatever guile
artifact you want to provide.

Also "." will capture some auxiliary files like channels.scm or
something else, which usually is not a desired behaviour as well.

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)