~adnano/go-gemini-devel

2 2

Parsing images

<0ee07d7529aeac464472d9ea0529a2b5@leaversmith.com>
Hello

I have a working solution for parsing URLs that are actually images
differently to other URLs so that they can be displayed inline in HTTP
proxies such as kineto.

Is this something you would be interested in, or willing to look at a
patch for?

Thanks,

ols
<C6MVHSWO17RI.3P8IUCDZCVLJT@nitro>
In-Reply-To
<0ee07d7529aeac464472d9ea0529a2b5@leaversmith.com> (view parent)
On Mon Oct 26, 2020 at 9:28 AM EDT, Oliver Leaver-Smith wrote:
> I have a working solution for parsing URLs that are actually images
> differently to other URLs so that they can be displayed inline in HTTP
> proxies such as kineto.
>
> Is this something you would be interested in, or willing to look at a
> patch for?

Hi Oliver,

I agree that it would be nice if there was a way to display images
inline. However, inline images are not part of the Gemini specification.

Parsing URLs to determine whether or not they are an image is a somewhat
ugly hack. It would be better if we could be 100% sure that something is
an image and not a link. What if I link to a URL ending in .png, but I
don't want it displayed inline?

There are also some disadvantages to inline images, like enabling
third-party tracking by inserting tracking pixels. So perhaps it is for
the best that inline images are not part of the specification.

I think that the best approach would be to see if there is enough demand
for inline images, and if so, add it to the specification. Ideally it
would be implemented in a way so that simple clients could treat it as a
link, while advanced clients could display it inline if they choose.
It would also have to take into consideration privacy and security.
Perhaps you could start a discussion on the Gemini mailing list about
this.
<20201026150420.7bvdigmcw67lxpxd@SBGML01560.sbg.skybettingandgaming.com>
In-Reply-To
<C6MVHSWO17RI.3P8IUCDZCVLJT@nitro> (view parent)
Hi Adnan

Thanks for your response, you raise some very interesting points that I
had not considered. To be clear, I don't think inline images should be
part of the Gemini spec, I just thought it might be a nice stylistic
choice to offer (you are right, it is a dirty hack) hence starting the
discussion here first rather than leading with the patch.

All the best,

ols
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)