~andir/nixpkgs-dev

1

Thread-Hijacking on this ML

<20210207084740.giszva3o6bgg5m5b@hoshi>

First of all: Thank you all for participating in making a nice UI for patch
submission for nixpkgs real!
I love the effort you all put into this and am really looking forward to use
this ML exclusively for interaction with nixos/nixpkgs in regards to patches.

But, and I take the liberty to voice my concerns here because I'm Suspect No. 1
in this matter: We should not fall into thread hijacking here.

The libaom patch thread I initialized is the best example, where I failed to
not fall into thread-hijacking, so I am guilty as well! But mail is cheap, one
can always open a new thread or, if even that's too much effort, change the
subject line to something more sensible.

As said, I do not blame anyone specifically here, I am guilty as well! But I
fear that if we do not behave well in the early days of this ML, it will only
get worse after time, making the archives not searchable at all in later days.

TL;DR: We should not do thread-hijacking. Rewording the Subject or starting a
new thread is easy and cheap. Let's make sure this ML gets as awesome as
possible.

--
Matthias
<87wnvk5bjx.fsf@yoctocell.xyz>
On Sun, Feb 07 2021, Matthias Beyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all: Thank you all for participating in making a nice UI for patch
> submission for nixpkgs real!
> I love the effort you all put into this and am really looking forward to use
> this ML exclusively for interaction with nixos/nixpkgs in regards to patches.

You are welcome! I too, would love to be able to just the use ML.

> But, and I take the liberty to voice my concerns here because I'm Suspect No. 1
> in this matter: We should not fall into thread hijacking here.
>
> The libaom patch thread I initialized is the best example, where I failed to
> not fall into thread-hijacking, so I am guilty as well! But mail is cheap, one
> can always open a new thread or, if even that's too much effort, change the
> subject line to something more sensible.

I agree, we should have some policy on this, and maybe we can put
something in the ML description on lists.sr.ht.  Some mailing lists put
the old subject in brackets to make it easier to refer to the parent
messages, e.g.

  -> Subject 1
  |-> Re: Subject 1
  |-> Subject 2 (was: Subject 1)