~andir/nixpkgs-dev

1

[nixpkgs-ml-tools] b4 seems to strongly tailored towards kernel development

<20210402103207.yosy3wf7vjm4sg5b@hoshi>

So as I expressed before somewhere in the thread for my latest patchset
(nevermind searching, I'll rephrase here), I think that the b4 utility is very
strongly tailored towards kernel development.

For example, we have to work around its "fetch things from lore" nature and so
on.

Thus, I am constantly thinking about building a tool similar to it, but not
tailored towards a specific workflow but only the email/patch workflow. The tool
should:

* Be able to accumulate trailers like b4
* Be able to add links in the commit messages to mail archives, like b4 can, but
  without a default actually
* Be able to add Signed-Off-By and other trailers
* Not only generate a new mbox, but also be able to apply that mbox right away,
  possibly on an auto-generated branch

The workflow would be to pipe mails from your favourite mailreader right into
the tool and that's it. It automatically accumulates trailers, adds the
specified metadata (links to archive, etc), builds a new mbox
and applies it (on a new branch, if wanted) to the repository in $PWD.

The tool should explicitely NOT be able to access network (i.e. what b4 does
with "fetch mailbox from lore"), thus the scope would be much smaller.

Further development could include options to automatically run $tool after
applying the patchset cleanly, to do static analisys (think cargo-check or
shellcheck) and fail if it does not work (possibly with git-bisect to find out
which patch broke things, not sure whether this is an good idea, but anyways...).

Thank-you messages or "this patch broke the series"-messages could be generated
as well, if wanted.

After all, the code from b4 could, in part, be reused. I believe this:

    https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/b4/b4.git/tree/b4/__init__.py#n488

is the most critical part (the core feature we want to use).

So my question is: Would you be interested in helping developing such a tool? My
python skills are... lacking at most, but I'd love to experiement with my ideas.

I could fire up a srht repository were we could do this (I would actually
develop this as a fork of b4, so code reuse is documented properly), but I
wanted to have some discussion first, whether such a thing is valuable to you
and whether there would be contributions :-).

Matthias
<20210402130431.i2a5p4m4jzhvxpof@hoshi>
In-Reply-To
<20210402103207.yosy3wf7vjm4sg5b@hoshi> (view parent)
On 02-04-2021 12:32:09, Matthias Beyer wrote:
> So my question is: Would you be interested in helping developing such a tool? My
> python skills are... lacking at most, but I'd love to experiement with my ideas.

Optionally, and possibly preferably, we could contribute to b4 to make it more
general in its functionality.

Matthias
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)