~andrewrk/ziglang

1

Re: Importance of copious release notes?

<UrZQAJXV2jbSCMNpac5Nc3BoIBlwdUa7rgB3Olajr_6VFgkoP23nviIoSUNXeblS3urNqAJPCProxMW4dJAEC8p93voL6LQUVmBcgxTKZm4=@protonmail.com>
> Nobody can keep track of all the changes and release notes document what
> has happened since the last tagged release. This means that we can
> verify that progress happens and what changes were done to the language
> or stdlib, even if you lost track of the language for months

I feel like a better solution for that would be a running changelog of
breaking changes and new features (bugfixes being less crucial to
include here). Annotate it with dates and maybe commit hashes / links
to PRs. Add a big heading or something where releases were cut. It
could be a simple file included in the zig repo that is easy for anyone
to update via PR.

> I usually track master with one to two days delay, but even i can't keep
> track of all changes and i miss a lot of important stuff. So the release
> notes get everyone on the same level of knowledge.

I stopped tracking master when 0.6.0 came out, because I wanted to
spend more of my limited time on my projects and less on compiler
issues (I might go back at some point). So this perspective is from one
of the people probably best helped by the release notes. But still I
feel a bit guilty when I see how much work goes into them.

Tracking master is definitely more work than sticking to tagged
versions, since you don't have the release notes to help you. You have
to have been keeping regular tabs on the commit activity or maybe IRC.

> I don't consider the time andrew spents on release notes wasted. I can
> imagine it helps reflecting all the work done and check if there were
> mistakes or suboptimal solutions you might find in retrospective

Yeah I'm not trying to demand anything. I can see there being upsides
too. I just wanted to give my perspective.

Re: Importance of copious release notes?

Caleb Gingles
<CA+XGjpPLMYf1ZGV2BFU1PSJqFgYuGDRwxX6GpX9jXbbUng1xWA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<UrZQAJXV2jbSCMNpac5Nc3BoIBlwdUa7rgB3Olajr_6VFgkoP23nviIoSUNXeblS3urNqAJPCProxMW4dJAEC8p93voL6LQUVmBcgxTKZm4=@protonmail.com> (view parent)
I'm personally a big fan of the release notes, and have been looking
forward to the 0.7.0 ones. I'm waiting for Zig to be a little more
stable before using it for larger projects, and the release notes show
the jumps in progress towards that goal.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM dbandstra <dbandstra@protonmail.com> wrote:

> > Nobody can keep track of all the changes and release notes document what
> > has happened since the last tagged release. This means that we can
> > verify that progress happens and what changes were done to the language
> > or stdlib, even if you lost track of the language for months
>
> I feel like a better solution for that would be a running changelog of
> breaking changes and new features (bugfixes being less crucial to
> include here). Annotate it with dates and maybe commit hashes / links
> to PRs. Add a big heading or something where releases were cut. It
> could be a simple file included in the zig repo that is easy for anyone
> to update via PR.
>
> > I usually track master with one to two days delay, but even i can't keep
> > track of all changes and i miss a lot of important stuff. So the release
> > notes get everyone on the same level of knowledge.
>
> I stopped tracking master when 0.6.0 came out, because I wanted to
> spend more of my limited time on my projects and less on compiler
> issues (I might go back at some point). So this perspective is from one
> of the people probably best helped by the release notes. But still I
> feel a bit guilty when I see how much work goes into them.
>
> Tracking master is definitely more work than sticking to tagged
> versions, since you don't have the release notes to help you. You have
> to have been keeping regular tabs on the commit activity or maybe IRC.
>
> > I don't consider the time andrew spents on release notes wasted. I can
> > imagine it helps reflecting all the work done and check if there were
> > mistakes or suboptimal solutions you might find in retrospective
>
> Yeah I'm not trying to demand anything. I can see there being upsides
> too. I just wanted to give my perspective.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)