~arivigo/cras-devel

2 2

Updating cras's documentation

<20220227163642.xsjlkkv52e5a24e7@arch>
Hi there!
Since 2.1.0,[1] cras allows for manipulating task lists whose date is in
the future (as opposed to the current day). This was a super welcome
change that made cras quite more flexible...

Most notably, it allows you to use cras to set a task list for the week,
for example. Or for the year. Or for whatever you want, as long as the
date is set to the future.

The problem is that all the documentation still implies that cras
behaves in the pre-2.1.x way, namely, that the task list would *only* be
accessible *on* the date registered on the task list. This affects some
of the error messages shown on screen as well.

I'm going to add a ticket about updating all docs and error messages to
cras's actual behavior. I wanted to inform the community via this ML
though because it will *look like* cras's goals and behavior would have
changed... but actually this is more of a case of outdated docs. This
means that despite the changes, this is going to forseeably become
revision version 2.1.3; the API isn't really going to change in any way
at all.

*Maybe* in a later version some shorthand codes might be added to the -w
option... a bit like the 'y' (yesterday) shorthand included in schain
2.4.0.[2] In schain past dates make sense, in cras only future dates
do... So, maybe, having '-w 1w' to set the expiry date to one week from
today's date may make some sense. I need to think more about this
particular issue, but I'd love to hear your thought on it!

Cheers!

[1]: https://git.sr.ht/~arivigo/cras/refs/2.1.0
[2]: https://git.sr.ht/~arivigo/schain/refs/2.4.0

--
Ariadna Vigo
Web: <https://ariadnavigo.xyz>
On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 11:52:27AM +0000, Huy Ngo wrote:
> +1 on the date alias! Currently I have to use a shell alias to make planning for tomorrow convenient, but it is certainly not as flexible as a command.

I'll tackle this as soon as the docs issue is sorted out! I do think
this is probably a winner feature that was long due. This design needs
some thinking through, for sure.

--
Ariadna Vigo
Web: <https://ariadnavigo.xyz>