~aw/flounder

1

Re: Flounder - add a comment section

<C95D02JWSPUH.93J1TXC2U2Y4@localhost>
Hi Maxime! (Ignore my last email)

Thanks for reaching out. In order to add a comment section, I
would have to program it in to my software. it's not something you'd be
able to do on flounder at the moment.

I've thought about this, but my biggest concern is spam and abuse. I
would either have to limit it to Flounder users (which would make it not
really open) or open it to everyone, in which case there is little I can
do for spam/abuse protection. I'll consider the feature, but this is a
tough problem to solve I think.

Also, I have a couple tips about your capsule:

For the ascii art, you can use backticks to surround it so it shows up
properly on all clients. See the bottom of this page:
https://admin.flounder.online/gemini_text_guide.gmi

My page was ambiguous about using schemaless URLs. You don't
necessarily want to use it for all links -- only links where the same
content is hosted at the same URL on gemini and http(s), e.g. flounder
links.

All the best,

Alex

P.S. I forwarded this to the mailing list, which is a good place to
submit project feedback and suggestions:
https://lists.sr.ht/~aw/flounder

On Tue Feb 9, 2021 at 1:26 PM PST, Maxime wrote:
> Hi Alex
>

> If I were to add a comment section to my GemLog (or at least try it, I'm
> not really a techy-guy), something like this :
>
> https://github.com/makeworld-the-better-one/gemlikes
>
> Would you see any problem with that? Any advice?
>

> Thanks
>
> MnMnM

Re: Flounder - add a comment section

<C95D24TWG28U.12B2HZ0MDVTRD@localhost>
In-Reply-To
<C95D02JWSPUH.93J1TXC2U2Y4@localhost> (view parent)
An addendum --

Using this library specifically would require me adding CGI to Flounder.
This would allow users to run arbitrary scripts in their capsule. This
is a cool idea, and I want to see if I can come up with a way to support
it, but it is an immense security challenge -- I would have to make sure
that users are able to run scripts without consuming all the server
resources, or accessing the Flounder server code itself. I haven't
looked too much into how I could do this yet, if it is at all possible.

All the best,
Alex
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)