~aw/flounder

Re: flounder.online support

<CB21LZ62NB9A.3RBB0X4P1GQ71@debian-alex>
Marco -- thanks for the feedback!

On Sat May 1, 2021 at 7:42 AM PDT, Marco wrote:
> Hey there, I'm using your service to host my gemlog
> (bi-rabittoh.flounder.online).  It's so awesome, I love the feed
> functionality since it saves me a lot of work and lets me focus on
> actually writing the articles...
>
> Now, I have two questions. I hope you can find some time to answer,
> but it's okay if you don't... After all, I didn't pay for this
> service.
>
> 1. I created some drafts in my .hidden folder inside /gemlog. They
> don't show up on the flounder.online main page, but they're still
> listed in my gemlog index... To avoid that, I deleted the actual files
> today, but they still show up on my gemlog index as broken links.
> Clicking them leads to a 404 page, and now I don't know how to
> actually remove them... Is there any way I can fix this myself?

I'm not sure what you're seeing here -- I don't see the broken links on
this page https://bi-rabittoh.flounder.online/gemlog/

It may be that this file is cached locally. I might not have caching set
up properly on that page, which may be the issue.

> 2. This is a bit weird, and you probably won't be able to help me, but
> let's try asking.  I migrated my blog from here:
> https://bi-rabittoh.github.io <https://bi-rabittoh.github.io/>. I used
> zola to handle all the article-related stuff, and that also gave me a
> RSS feed so that people could subscribe to my updates.  The automatic
> RSS feed functionality was one of the reasons I switched to your
> service... But if I try to subscribe I just get everything in one
> line, without formatting, so reading the feed on any RSS aggregator
> just results in garbled up information like this: _____ # Modern web
> bloat This is it. My first blog post; I suppose this officially makes
> be a boomer. ## Inspiration Some time ago I stumbled upon a [video],
> where the popular Linux influencer [Luke Smith] talked about the
> effort of looking up a Chicken Parmesan recipe in 2021 without having
> any adblock or privacy extensions enabled. That's because most modern
> websites take a lot of time to load framework files, ads and trackers.
> While that's kinda functional, I think we should change our habits and
> start making simple websites again. In fact, I thought about creating
> this gemlog (and article) when I saw [Lonami]'s minimal website and
> immediately noticed how fast and clean it feels. Yeah, this looks like
> a first world problem and it probably is, but it's not as subtle as
> you think. I'm actually convinced that the internet could actually
> benefit from this way of thinking, and that's what I'm going to talk
> about. =>
> <https://odysee.com/@Luke:7/a-demonstration-of-modern-web-bloat:f>
> video => https://lukesmith.xyz <https://lukesmith.xyz/> Luke Smith =>
> <https://lonami.dev/> Lonami ## The problem In the early days of the
> internet, it was common for webpages to be written using only HTML, so
> we had very ugly but functional websites. [...] _____
>
> I even tried locally changing the <content type="html"> directive in
> the atom.xml file to<content type="text">, but that still gave no
> results, as every single aggregator I tried basically ignores all line
> endings...
>
> I think this could either be fixed by: * actually writing line end
> instructions on the xml file instead of "&#xA;" * formatting the whole
> <content> field as xhtml, maybe using the same "translator" you have
> on your proxy, so that titles, links, list etc.  are all rendered
> correctly

You're right -- this is a bug. I wrote that code very hastily and didn't
really test it, haha. I added a ticket to track this issue:
https://github.com/alexwennerberg/flounder/issues/36

> Sorry, I know this was a long email and I understand if you don't have
> time to help me with this.  Either way, thanks a lot for your service,
> it's very high quality and currently the best option, so keep up the
> good work!

Glad you're enjoying it! I am currently extremely busy but I should be
able to get around to it at some point!  It's also open source, not sure
if you're a programmer but you're free to give a shot at patching it
yourself via the github link above