~awesomekling/serenityos-dev

2 2

Preparation for Hacktoberfest 2020?

<CAFOmKHfnSduft+5HhKfLOxtdjQVRjsU-7UtUQiro2UTgWY97RA@mail.gmail.com>
Hacktoberfest 2020 is coming up soon.
https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/

Would it make sense to sketch out small projects and tasks that the
Serenity community would benefit from? We can tag them in the issue
tracker to encourage folks to participate in Hacktoberfest, and hack
on Serenity. Projects that prepare and setup up for grab issues
normally get a pretty big influx of contributors during the month,
which you can view as a good or bad thing. :)

Something I've wanted that might make a nice little project for
someone is a Flame Graph rendering for the profile viewer.
http://www.brendangregg.com/flamegraphs.html
I don't think it would be a ton of work to get something bare bones going.

Does anyone have any other ideas for useful stuff that people could
easily pickup and contribute to?

Thanks,
- Brian
<ae2ba09e-df3c-4c1e-b046-aa57337b3a6b@linusgroh.de>
In-Reply-To
<CAFOmKHfnSduft+5HhKfLOxtdjQVRjsU-7UtUQiro2UTgWY97RA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
I think that's a great idea! Hacktoberfest can be a lot of fun, and if
it sparks interest in some people to work on Serenity I'd see that as a
good thing :)

Some more stuff to possibly work on (small & self
contained):

- Implement missing options/flags in userland programs, because
  they're useful and/or popular Unix systems have them. I'm sure we can
  find some easily.
- Draw some pretty icons for common file formats or programs
  we don't have an icon for yet - the blank default file icon is boring!
  This would include 16x16 and 32x32 icons for one certain
  app/extension each. Also some file formats are still missing one of both,
  AFAIK.
- QOL improvements: easy to find something, usually easy to fix/implement,
  everyone profits. This could be literally anything in user facing
  programs: fixing spacing in a layout, cleaning up a menu, providing a
  better default somewhere etc.

⁣​

<CABXa4CK_3GSHBK+iay5=6oxQ5WWkFi+QHVU2fqxBDsCuXbWRhw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAFOmKHfnSduft+5HhKfLOxtdjQVRjsU-7UtUQiro2UTgWY97RA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Generally speaking I'm wary of drive-by contributions from people who
are not interested in sticking around and maintaining what they add.

However, if SerenityOS regulars pre-file a bunch of bugs with things
they would like to see (ideally in the "stuff I would do myself sooner
or later anyway" category) I think it could be pretty cool!

If nothing comes out of it other than us getting better about filing
bugs about neat things to do/fix, that's also a win IMO. :)
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)