~brettgilio/org-webring

3 2

Thoughts on syndicates list

<875z91jnhq.fsf@gnu.org>
I have given more consideration about how to implement a syndicates list
to org-webring. I think it will be in our best interest to consider this
as an "add-on" feature, and implement it in a separate file
(org-webring-syndicates.el). I think Sergiu is right that we can
repurpose a lot of the code we have now, and mostly redux some of the
functions, giving them a better name in the org-webring-syndicates.el
file.

The issue that stands is mostly, how the hell should we have this
displayed? Should it be on its own page? If so, how should it be
formatted? Or should it be optional to put it on its own page, and
perhaps place it beneath the result of `org-webring-generate'. Lots of
possibilities here, and extensibility of the whole thing is no barrier
either.

Brett Gilio
<87r1rpck9i.fsf@posteo.ro>
In-Reply-To
<875z91jnhq.fsf@gnu.org> (view parent)
Brett Gilio <brettg@gnu.org> writes:

> The issue that stands is mostly, how the hell should we have this
> displayed? Should it be on its own page? If so, how should it be
> formatted? Or should it be optional to put it on its own page, and
> perhaps place it beneath the result of `org-webring-generate'. Lots of
> possibilities here, and extensibility of the whole thing is no barrier
> either.

Disclaimer: I'm on the verge of falling asleep, so I can't guarantee the
integrity of those thoughts.

I think allowing the user to somehow choose between embedding it after
the webring or having it _more standalone_ is a good idea, though I'm
not sure I agree on it being "on its own page" as default behaviour.

For the webring we don't make it an "its own page" thing -- that's how I
imagine we should proceed for the syndicates list too. Make something
that's easy to include wherever the user wants. Of course it can end on
it's own page, if the user wants to, we should not force it though.

If the syndlist is generated as an Org file, it should be easy to
include in another document. If its generated as HTML code, through an
evaluated code block or some other method, it should work in the image
of org-webring-generate-webring. Creating the syndlist as HTML code
looks like the richest in options for embedding the result.

org-webring-generate-webring could maybe accept an optional parameter
for creating the syndlist to plug it in just before the version and
attribution.

--
Sergiu
<87zh6db4yw.fsf@gnu.org>
Alexandru-Sergiu Marton <brown121407@posteo.ro> writes:

> org-webring-generate-webring could maybe accept an optional parameter
> for creating the syndlist to plug it in just before the version and
> attribution.

I think probably having it as an extra parameter of the
`org-webring-generate-webring' function is the easiest of the options,
and in that case would be easiest to keep in the org-webring.el file and
not parse it out into its own file.

Brett Gilio
<87h7shgrd8.fsf@posteo.ro>
In-Reply-To
<87zh6db4yw.fsf@gnu.org> (view parent)
Brett Gilio <brettg@gnu.org> writes:

> Alexandru-Sergiu Marton <brown121407@posteo.ro> writes:
>
>> org-webring-generate-webring could maybe accept an optional parameter
>> for creating the syndlist to plug it in just before the version and
>> attribution.
>
> I think probably having it as an extra parameter of the
> `org-webring-generate-webring' function is the easiest of the options,
> and in that case would be easiest to keep in the org-webring.el file and
> not parse it out into its own file.

We could do the parsing in an external file to be clean, if need be, and
just call the function that generates the list inside of
org-webring-generate-webring if that optional parameter is not nil.

The most important question still stands: do we generate some pluggable
HTML, similar to what we do for the webring?

Sergiu
Export thread (mbox)