~captainepoch/husky-devel

9 3

Feature suggestion: checking for notifications in background for multiple accounts like you can on Husky 1.0.1

<20220507001924.000031cd@cock.li>
Husky version: 1.1.3

On Husky 1.0.1 you can add multiple accounts and it will periodically
check for notifications in background for all connected accounts. In
1.1.2 and 1.1.3 Husky has that "Running live notifications for
@whatever" thing which is, from what I understand, the way to prevent
one of those "batter saver" things from killing the app in the
background.
Now, the issue here isn't with the pinned notification itself (although
it would be nice to at least be able to hide my @ since that thing is
going to be on my lock screen 24/7) but with the fact that it can only
check for notifications for one account at a time, the one you used the
last. My question here is, is there a way to make Husky check
notifications for all connected accounts at the same time? Or maybe even
an option to choose if you want live notifications for one account or
periodical background checking of all accounts. I'm aware that the last
option might be pretty tricky to implement but the way notifications
work on 1.0.1 is pretty much the main reason I use Husky instead of
just a web browser.

Regards
<20220507051124.6pgjy6ool2vu2j7c@MacBook-Pro-de-Adolfo.local>
In-Reply-To
<20220507001924.000031cd@cock.li> (view parent)
>On Husky 1.0.1 you can add multiple accounts and it will periodically
>check for notifications in background for all connected accounts. In
>1.1.2 and 1.1.3 Husky has that "Running live notifications for
>@whatever" thing which is, from what I understand, the way to prevent
>one of those "batter saver" things from killing the app in the
>background.

Yes, it's to keep a background service always up.

>Now, the issue here isn't with the pinned notification itself (although
>it would be nice to at least be able to hide my @ since that thing is
>going to be on my lock screen 24/7) but with the fact that it can only
>check for notifications for one account at a time, the one you used the
>last. My question here is, is there a way to make Husky check
>notifications for all connected accounts at the same time? Or maybe even
>an option to choose if you want live notifications for one account or
>periodical background checking of all accounts. I'm aware that the last
>option might be pretty tricky to implement but the way notifications
>work on 1.0.1 is pretty much the main reason I use Husky instead of
>just a web browser.

I can take a look at this to hide the name of the account(s), sure.

And for the multiple account notification, I'll also take a look at this
to see if I can go back to the old one, the one you described.

I opened a ticket: https://todo.sr.ht/~captainepoch/husky/31

>Regards

Thanks for the email!

Cheers!
<CJTJZSIQRHAY.2LBMV6M48P3U8@ace>
In-Reply-To
<20220507051124.6pgjy6ool2vu2j7c@MacBook-Pro-de-Adolfo.local> (view parent)
On Sat May 7, 2022 at 6:11 AM BST, Adolfo Santiago wrote:
> > On Husky 1.0.1 you can add multiple accounts and it will periodically
> > check for notifications in background for all connected accounts. In
> > 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 Husky has that "Running live notifications for
> > @whatever" thing which is, from what I understand, the way to prevent
> > one of those "batter saver" things from killing the app in the
> > background.
>
> Yes, it's to keep a background service always up.
>
> > Now, the issue here isn't with the pinned notification itself (although
> > it would be nice to at least be able to hide my @ since that thing is
> > going to be on my lock screen 24/7)
>
> I can take a look at this to hide the name of the account(s), sure.

On Android (at least on my version), you can press and hold the
notification, and it'll ask if you want to minimised the notification.
You can also minimise it from the system's notification settings. The
minimised notification will not appear on the notification bar or on
your home screen, only when you open the notification draw, and only at
the bottom with othe minimised notifications.

Search "android minimised notifications".

> > but with the fact that it can only
> > check for notifications for one account at a time, the one you used the
> > last. My question here is, is there a way to make Husky check
> > notifications for all connected accounts at the same time? Or maybe even
> > an option to choose if you want live notifications for one account or
> > periodical background checking of all accounts. I'm aware that the last
> > option might be pretty tricky to implement but the way notifications
> > work on 1.0.1 is pretty much the main reason I use Husky instead of
> > just a web browser.
>
> And for the multiple account notification, I'll also take a look at this
> to see if I can go back to the old one, the one you described.
>
> I opened a ticket: https://todo.sr.ht/~captainepoch/husky/31

I don't understand the problem described. On my Android device, there is
a minimised notification titled "Live notifications" and subtitled
"Running live notifications for @torresjrjr@qoto.org @foo@bar.com...".

When I get a notification, it has it's own (maximised) section, and
notifications from the same account get grouped into one.

This way of doing notifications (or at least my experience of how
current Husky does it) is perfect for me.

So what's your experience? Is it different to what I described? Maybe
it's different versions of Android, or maybe I haven't understood the
user's problem.
<20220507162944.0000138f@cock.li>
In-Reply-To
<20220507051124.6pgjy6ool2vu2j7c@MacBook-Pro-de-Adolfo.local> (view parent)
I forgot to mention it in my first post, I'm running Android 10 (EMUI
10.0.0)

>android minimised notifications
I looked it up and looks like that on EMUI there's a thing called
"Gentle notifications" that is supposed to do that, but it seems to
only be able to mute all notifications from Husky, not just the pinned
one. Also it still shows on the lock screen so that fixes nothing. What
I meant is that it would be nice to have an option you can set from the
app itself to not list account names on the pinned notification so it
only says something like "Running live notifications" or something so I
don't have to depend on the good will of whoever made the ROM my phone
is running to not have "@shitpisscum" pinned to my lock screen.

> there is a minimised notification titled "Live notifications" and
> subtitled "Running live notifications for @torresjrjr@qoto.org
> @foo@bar.com...".
>
> When I get a notification, it has it's own (maximised) section, and
> notifications from the same account get grouped into one.

Skipping the part where I can't figure out how to minimize
notifications on Huawei that's exactly how I expected it to work, but
for whatever reason I was only able to get notifications for one
account at a time. However, after completely uninstalling Husky and
reinstalling it that seems to be working so I guess the only issue now
is actually the lack of ability to minimize the pinned notification.
<CJTN62U1EP89.2YT9WBYMXY16H@ace>
In-Reply-To
<20220507162944.0000138f@cock.li> (view parent)
On Sat May 7, 2022 at 3:29 PM BST, Alex wrote:
> I forgot to mention it in my first post, I'm running Android 10 (EMUI
> 10.0.0)

> @shitpisscum
> Huawei

Checks out.

Well, ideally you'd buy a ...better phone with better software.
Sorry :D.

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy, Android 9, One UI version 1.0. So there's that.

> > there is a minimised notification titled "Live notifications" and
> > subtitled "Running live notifications for @torresjrjr@qoto.org
> > @foo@bar.com...".
> >
> > When I get a notification, it has it's own (maximised) section, and
> > notifications from the same account get grouped into one.
>
> Skipping the part where I can't figure out how to minimize
> notifications on Huawei that's exactly how I expected it to work, but
> for whatever reason I was only able to get notifications for one
> account at a time. However, after completely uninstalling Husky and
> reinstalling it that seems to be working so I guess the only issue now
> is actually the lack of ability to minimize the pinned notification.

Well great that it's half solved. As for minimising the notif, try to
dig deep into the system settings' section for notifications, and look
for something like "live notifications", "notification style", and
"silent and minimised".

If all else fails, seethe.
<20220507183916.00002f11@cock.li>
In-Reply-To
<20220507051124.6pgjy6ool2vu2j7c@MacBook-Pro-de-Adolfo.local> (view parent)
A quick update, I fond a way to do this on Huawei. Open settings and
navigate to Apps -> Apps -> Husky -> Notifications. You should get an
"Allow notifications" switch and bellow that a list of notification
types (Chat Messages, Emoji Reactions, Favourites etc). Locate the
"Live notifications" option, open it and just turn off the "Allow
Notifications". That should fix it.

Btw I still think my suggestion for the option to not show the account
name(s) on the pinned notifications should be considered for whenever
the new version gets released.

Cheers
<CJTOKQPV02N9.3CFFEG8392NJS@ace>
In-Reply-To
<20220507183916.00002f11@cock.li> (view parent)
On Sat May 7, 2022 at 5:39 PM BST, Alex wrote:
> A quick update, I fond a way to do this on Huawei. Open settings and
> navigate to Apps -> Apps -> Husky -> Notifications. You should get an
> "Allow notifications" switch and bellow that a list of notification
> types (Chat Messages, Emoji Reactions, Favourites etc). Locate the
> "Live notifications" option, open it and just turn off the "Allow
> Notifications". That should fix it.

Perfect, that's pretty much what I had in mind for your case. I think
most moderns versions and extensions of Android now come with his level
of configuration.

> Btw I still think my suggestion for the option to not show the account
> name(s) on the pinned notifications should be considered for whenever
> the new version gets released.

So you're saying when the minimised notification is contracted, where
only the title is presented:

	Husky    Live notifications

When the notif is expanded, you don't want a subtitle that says

	Running live notifications for @foo@bar.com @baz@qux.com...

That sounds reasonable. Some of my other minimised notifs also don't
have subtitles.
<20220507190901.000015f1@cock.li>
In-Reply-To
<20220507051124.6pgjy6ool2vu2j7c@MacBook-Pro-de-Adolfo.local> (view parent)
>So you're saying when the minimised notification is contracted, where
>only the title is presented:
>
>	Husky    Live notifications
>
>When the notif is expanded, you don't want a subtitle that says
>
>	Running live notifications for @foo@bar.com @baz@qux.com...

Yeah that exactly what I meant.
<20220507175502.u7zlk6aadojoa7qe@MacBook-Pro-de-Adolfo.local>
In-Reply-To
<20220507190901.000015f1@cock.li> (view parent)
Sorry, I was off.

Glad you found a way of doing that on Huawei! I do not have a phone with
that kind of software, and the roms I use are AOSP or LineageOS, so
Huawei-specific behavior is really dificult for me to test.

>>So you're saying when the minimised notification is contracted, where
>>only the title is presented:
>>
>>	Husky    Live notifications
>>
>>When the notif is expanded, you don't want a subtitle that says
>>
>>	Running live notifications for @foo@bar.com @baz@qux.com...
>
>Yeah that exactly what I meant.

Yes, this is something I think I can add in the near future for those
who want to hide the account of the live notification.

I closed this ticket https://todo.sr.ht/~captainepoch/husky/31
and opened this one https://todo.sr.ht/~captainepoch/husky/32 so this
feature does not get in the void.

Thank you both!

Cheers!
<20220508082008.3jiy7el5wvy5he7a@MacBook-Pro-de-Adolfo.local>
In-Reply-To
<20220507190901.000015f1@cock.li> (view parent)
Hello!

The feature of hiding the account name in the persistent notification
has been implemented.

https://todo.sr.ht/~captainepoch/husky/32

Cheers!
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)