~cnx/blackshades

2 2

Releasing Black Shades under a free software license

<CBZTB9S4OY9Y.IUCWJ8TO80NJ@nix>
Dear Wolfire Games,

My name is McSinyx and I am a big fan of your work since Lugaru
(and later Overgrowth, I bought a Humble Bundle a while ago just for it).

I recently discovered a old work of yours, Black Shades and fell in love
with it as well!  It seems to me that it is no longer in development
for over a decade now and was archived on svn.icculus.org/blackshades
Unlike Lugaru, however, it seems that it is still (formally, at least)
licensed under the original uDevGame since the contest, which permits
neither modification nor redistribution.  Since it is a great game,
I really don't want to see it die so I am asking if you could kindly
relicense it under a free software license, e.g. GPL like Lugaru,
probably version 3 or above (GNU GPLv3+).

Personally I am not really experienced with video games development
but I plan to overhaul it a bit with SDL2 and work on the TODOs,
if you agree with the relicensing.  I am also not a lawyer and I wonder
if I need to contact everyone working on the GNU/Linux port to get
their consent on the new licensing terms (relnev, theoddone33, icculus,
zakk and Toby Haynes).  I am Cc'ing this to those I could find
the contact just in case.

By the way, I read your statement on Valve earlier
and I am in full support.

Best wishes,
McSinyx
Zachary Jack Slater <zjs@zacharyjackslater.com>
<9D6CFBFE-7191-48D0-9D50-9B6486D44929@zacharyjackslater.com>
In-Reply-To
<CBZTB9S4OY9Y.IUCWJ8TO80NJ@nix> (view parent)
Would love to see Black Shades with a free-er license and improvements!

> On Jun 9, 2021, at 23:26, Nguyễn Gia Phong <mcsinyx@disroot.org> wrote:
>
> Dear Wolfire Games,
>
> My name is McSinyx and I am a big fan of your work since Lugaru
> (and later Overgrowth, I bought a Humble Bundle a while ago just for it).
>
> I recently discovered a old work of yours, Black Shades and fell in love
> with it as well!  It seems to me that it is no longer in development
> for over a decade now and was archived on svn.icculus.org/blackshades
> Unlike Lugaru, however, it seems that it is still (formally, at least)
> licensed under the original uDevGame since the contest, which permits
> neither modification nor redistribution.  Since it is a great game,
> I really don't want to see it die so I am asking if you could kindly
> relicense it under a free software license, e.g. GPL like Lugaru,
> probably version 3 or above (GNU GPLv3+).
>
> Personally I am not really experienced with video games development
> but I plan to overhaul it a bit with SDL2 and work on the TODOs,
> if you agree with the relicensing.  I am also not a lawyer and I wonder
> if I need to contact everyone working on the GNU/Linux port to get
> their consent on the new licensing terms (relnev, theoddone33, icculus,
> zakk and Toby Haynes).  I am Cc'ing this to those I could find
> the contact just in case.
>
> By the way, I read your statement on Valve earlier
> and I am in full support.
>
> Best wishes,
> McSinyx
Ryan C. Gordon <icculus@icculus.org>
<e4f806dc-96b6-403d-92c4-bf534834e3a2@icculus.org>
In-Reply-To
<9D6CFBFE-7191-48D0-9D50-9B6486D44929@zacharyjackslater.com> (view parent)
This is fine with me if David Rosen (the original author) is okay with it.

--ryan.

On 6/10/21 5:31 AM, Zachary Jack Slater wrote:
> Would love to see Black Shades with a free-er license and improvements!
>
>> On Jun 9, 2021, at 23:26, Nguyễn Gia Phong <mcsinyx@disroot.org> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Wolfire Games,
>>
>> My name is McSinyx and I am a big fan of your work since Lugaru
>> (and later Overgrowth, I bought a Humble Bundle a while ago just for it).
>>
>> I recently discovered a old work of yours, Black Shades and fell in love
>> with it as well!  It seems to me that it is no longer in development
>> for over a decade now and was archived on svn.icculus.org/blackshades
>> Unlike Lugaru, however, it seems that it is still (formally, at least)
>> licensed under the original uDevGame since the contest, which permits
>> neither modification nor redistribution.  Since it is a great game,
>> I really don't want to see it die so I am asking if you could kindly
>> relicense it under a free software license, e.g. GPL like Lugaru,
>> probably version 3 or above (GNU GPLv3+).
>>
>> Personally I am not really experienced with video games development
>> but I plan to overhaul it a bit with SDL2 and work on the TODOs,
>> if you agree with the relicensing.  I am also not a lawyer and I wonder
>> if I need to contact everyone working on the GNU/Linux port to get
>> their consent on the new licensing terms (relnev, theoddone33, icculus,
>> zakk and Toby Haynes).  I am Cc'ing this to those I could find
>> the contact just in case.
>>
>> By the way, I read your statement on Valve earlier
>> and I am in full support.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> McSinyx
David Rosen <david@wolfire.com>
<CANkt0ZcKHrn-H073TQqObkK6AbEnZ-Dc4eYXiqUq+7mB0D4qPA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<e4f806dc-96b6-403d-92c4-bf534834e3a2@icculus.org> (view parent)
That sounds good to me! I would be excited to play an updated version.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 10:46 AM Ryan C. Gordon <icculus@icculus.org> wrote:

> This is fine with me if David Rosen (the original author) is okay with it.
>
> --ryan.
>

> On 6/10/21 5:31 AM, Zachary Jack Slater wrote:
> > Would love to see Black Shades with a free-er license and improvements!
> >
> >> On Jun 9, 2021, at 23:26, Nguyễn Gia Phong <mcsinyx@disroot.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear Wolfire Games,
> >>
> >> My name is McSinyx and I am a big fan of your work since Lugaru
> >> (and later Overgrowth, I bought a Humble Bundle a while ago just for
> it).
> >>
> >> I recently discovered a old work of yours, Black Shades and fell in love
> >> with it as well!  It seems to me that it is no longer in development
> >> for over a decade now and was archived on svn.icculus.org/blackshades
> >> Unlike Lugaru, however, it seems that it is still (formally, at least)
> >> licensed under the original uDevGame since the contest, which permits
> >> neither modification nor redistribution.  Since it is a great game,
> >> I really don't want to see it die so I am asking if you could kindly
> >> relicense it under a free software license, e.g. GPL like Lugaru,
> >> probably version 3 or above (GNU GPLv3+).
> >>
> >> Personally I am not really experienced with video games development
> >> but I plan to overhaul it a bit with SDL2 and work on the TODOs,
> >> if you agree with the relicensing.  I am also not a lawyer and I wonder
> >> if I need to contact everyone working on the GNU/Linux port to get
> >> their consent on the new licensing terms (relnev, theoddone33, icculus,
> >> zakk and Toby Haynes).  I am Cc'ing this to those I could find
> >> the contact just in case.
> >>
> >> By the way, I read your statement on Valve earlier
> >> and I am in full support.
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >> McSinyx

<CC5KX31G7Y9G.FUEV6FB9UG99@nix>
In-Reply-To
<CANkt0ZcKHrn-H073TQqObkK6AbEnZ-Dc4eYXiqUq+7mB0D4qPA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Wed Jun 16, 2021 at 6:02 PM -0700, David Rosen wrote:
> That sounds good to me! I would be excited to play an updated version.

Thank you very much, this is awesome news!  With your granted permission,
I will be maintaining the GPLv3+ codebase at https://sr.ht/~cnx/blackshades/

On 6/10/21 5:31 AM, Zachary Jack Slater <zjs@zacharyjackslater.com> wrote:
> Would love to see Black Shades with a free-er license and improvements!

Ryan and Zachary, thank you for your support and the past work
that made it possible to play the game on GNU/Linux!

For future references, I will be archiving this conversation
in the newly created mailing list at https://lists.sr.ht/~cnx/blackshades

On Jun 9, 2021, at 23:26, Nguyễn Gia Phong <mcsinyx@disroot.org> wrote:
> Dear Wolfire Games,
>
> My name is McSinyx and I am a big fan of your work since Lugaru
> (and later Overgrowth, I bought a Humble Bundle a while ago just for it).
>
> I recently discovered a old work of yours, Black Shades and fell in love
> with it as well!  It seems to me that it is no longer in development
> for over a decade now and was archived on svn.icculus.org/blackshades
> Unlike Lugaru, however, it seems that it is still (formally, at least)
> licensed under the original uDevGame since the contest, which permits
> neither modification nor redistribution.  Since it is a great game,
> I really don't want to see it die so I am asking if you could kindly
> relicense it under a free software license, e.g. GPL like Lugaru,
> probably version 3 or above (GNU GPLv3+).
>
> Personally I am not really experienced with video games development
> but I plan to overhaul it a bit with SDL2 and work on the TODOs,
> if you agree with the relicensing.  I am also not a lawyer and I wonder
> if I need to contact everyone working on the GNU/Linux port to get
> their consent on the new licensing terms (relnev, theoddone33, icculus,
> zakk and Toby Haynes).  I am Cc'ing this to those I could find
> the contact just in case.
>
> By the way, I read your statement on Valve earlier
> and I am in full support.
>
> Best wishes,
> McSinyx
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)