~csmith/public-inbox

1

[chameth.com] DNS-over-TLS on the EdgeRouter Lite

<MEYP282MB29434C8C711AF5AD12083753DA8F9@MEYP282MB2943.AUSP282.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM>
Hello Chris and hope you are well.

Apologies for the email on this but your resource is one of the only ones available online which gives a proper guide on how to setup Unbound on the Edge OS.

I just have a question though.

Been trying to follow the steps and they work mostly however my router has an existing DHCP server and when I try to run the rest of the commands for DHCP. It comes back with errors.

So my question is basically this. Does the edgerouter need to have DHCP unconfigured before performing the steps in your tutorial?

Thanks and regards,

Guy
<a348d1bd-2115-4a28-aac1-781dfffcf980@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<MEYP282MB29434C8C711AF5AD12083753DA8F9@MEYP282MB2943.AUSP282.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> (view parent)
Hi Guy,

First, a disclaimer: I no longer own an Edgerouter (it died) and the post is
going on for 5 years old, so take my advice with a pinch of salt!

You only really need to touch the DHCP settings to disable dnsmasq (which is
the built-in DNS server) and tell clients about the new DNS server. If dnsmasq
is enabled then unbound won't be able to listen on the right port and will
error out.

I had a bit of a search around, and came across these instructions for
installing unbound which are much more recent:

https://gist.github.com/Blackdixxa/05493402eac10fdbed9ffe3a082ce0e9

The key difference I can see is they say to explicitly stop and disable
dnsmasq by doing:

   /etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop

Then editing /etc/default/dnsmasq and changing ENABLE=1 to ENABLE=0

Let me know if that gets it working and I'll update the article.

If not, I'm not sure I can help much more as I don't have anything running
Edge OS to play with! You might be able to get some help from the ubiquiti
forums or the subreddit if you write up what you've done and what errors
you get etc.

Thanks, and good luck

Chris

On Tue, 19 Jul 2022, at 04:16, ggarconnette@msn.com wrote:
> Hello Chris and hope you are well.
>
> Apologies for the email on this but your resource is one of the only
> ones available online which gives a proper guide on how to setup
> Unbound on the Edge OS.
>
> I just have a question though.
>
> Been trying to follow the steps and they work mostly however my router
> has an existing DHCP server and when I try to run the rest of the
> commands for DHCP. It comes back with errors.
>
> So my question is basically this. Does the edgerouter need to have DHCP
> unconfigured before performing the steps in your tutorial?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Guy
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)