~dmbaturin/soupault

2

Re: Reclarification of the Git mirror status + Nix

<61a394ac-fccf-51d3-ecc9-5d5139970a2d@baturin.org>
My plan is to sort out the automatic mirroring at the very least,
whatever it takes. I have half a design for a mirroring daemon in mind,
though it still needs to be fleshed out, and I'm not sure if there won't
be unexpected pitfalls (but I hope there will not be).

I also believe that we need a federated bug tracker service independent
from code hosting, and that having "issues" in repositories is an
approach that is both limiting (no bug tracking for projects with more
than one repo) and prone to anti-patterns (issues as support requests).

On 8/16/21 5:05 PM, toastal wrote:
>> I think I'd prefer it to be in the upstream Nix
> Roger.
>
>> GitHub
> Sucks, but it’s not like I don’t understand. Nixpkgs is all done through GitHub. There’s been some attempts to *try* to get an alternative mailing list route going, but it kinda fizzled. Elm has tied all package management *AND* identity to GitHub. PureScript supports alternatives in theory, but no one seems to have a major package publish outside GitHub (this I hope to change this :fingers-crossed:, but I need to create something people _really_ want and I will sadly probably be responsible for fleshing out any current building issues).
>
> I feel like the it’s too difficult to do both. Buying in to the non-mailing-list route ends you in a GitHub clone situation like GitLab, Gitea, Codeberg, versus mailing-list-only Sourcehut, default repo. Most people are now accustomed (myself included, in hindsight regrettably, but a GUI *was* easier to learn when I was first picking up Git). I think because most people learned through GitHub back in its independenc and ‘cool’ phase, will default to “issues” and “pull requests”. A lot of projects have had some success on GitLab and a lot of the FOSS (like GPL FOSS) community _has_ moved (to gitlab.com or self-hosted) because of GitHub’s close-source, tracking-on existence and still get contributors used to that style and share philosphical views, but GitLab does certainly have its issues (as noted, beholden to VC investors that may turn when they want). At that point, it’s a political stance that is more personal than likely not affect change unless your project is too big and too important to fail (e.g. Linux kernel). I’m personally moving all of my stuff to GitLab and Sourcehut, but I’m also fond of the Haskell motto: avoid success at all costs ^_^
>
> Commiserating rant aside, I know where your heart and head lie in looking for success and adoption. Cannot say I blame you, *but* you may want to update your website docs if this is the case.
>
> * * *
>
> Okay, well then I’ll work on a Nix derivation pointing to GitHub for the time being. Thanks again for the quick response.

Re: Reclarification of the Git mirror status + Nix

<4Gp9bT3Yl0z9rxG@submission02.posteo.de>
In-Reply-To
<61a394ac-fccf-51d3-ecc9-5d5139970a2d@baturin.org> (view parent)
Well I *do* have an open https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/134306[merge request] now. If you have any feedback, or want me to put it at Codeberg instead and yell at you if you forgot to push a new tag, I can be a manual tool if that is what you prefer. Currently it is pointing to the GitHub repo.

Re: Reclarification of the Git mirror status + Nix

<4GwqT81fQcz9rxY@submission02.posteo.de>
In-Reply-To
<4Gp9bT3Yl0z9rxG@submission02.posteo.de> (view parent)
> open https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/134306[merge request]