Minimum requirements to run a Gio app on embedded system

Marek Małowidzki
<1592219681362.17161@wil.waw.pl>

I have managed to succesfully cross-compile Gio to my system.

Now, I get the error:

wayland: wl_display_connect failed: no such file or directory

There is already such a question but maybe my question is more general. What do I need to run a Gio app on a minimum, embedded system? Which tags should I use during compilation?

The current app is implemeted in Embedded Qt and with -qws option it is both client and server, and does not require anything else to run.

The embedded system was prepared by someone else, I know that it is quite outdated and minimum. My current goal is to check whether Gio can be run there. Memory footprint, performance etc. are not important at the moment.

Regards,

Marek
<1DFF350A-5816-4E49-BE70-39E4A96016D8@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<1592219681362.17161@wil.waw.pl> (view parent)
On June 15, 2020 7:14:41 AM EDT, "Marek Małowidzki" <Marek.Malowidzki@wil.waw.pl> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have managed to succesfully cross-compile Gio to my system.
>
>Now, I get the error:
>
>wayland: wl_display_connect failed: no such file or directory

Do you know which display server the embedded system is using? Seems like it's probably X11. Gio ought to fall back to that if Wayland isn't running, but I don't know the details of the mechanism. Are you launching the application from within a graphical session?

>There is already such a question but maybe my question is more general. What do I need to run a Gio app on a minimum, embedded system? Which tags should I use during compilation?

I'm not sure that you need any special tags unless you want to force either only X11 or only Wayland support. There are `nox11` and `nowayland` tags for that.

>The current app is implemeted in Embedded Qt and with -qws option it is both client and server, and does not require anything else to run.
>
>The embedded system was prepared by someone else, I know that it is quite outdated and minimum. My current goal is to check whether Gio can be run there. Memory footprint, performance etc. are not important at the moment.

There are some specific graphics processing requirements that I don't have a list of (hopefully Elias can help here), and beyond that Gio depends on having either an X server or Wayland compositor running. That's it as far as I am aware, but I'm far from the most knowledgeable in our little community.

Cheers,
Chris
Marek Małowidzki
<1592225775801.3162@wil.waw.pl>
In-Reply-To
<1DFF350A-5816-4E49-BE70-39E4A96016D8@gmail.com> (view parent)
Dear Chris,

thank you for your response.

The situation looks as follows:
1. there is no graphical session, I connect using a terminal
2. the system is equipped with a touchscreen, if it matters
3. there is no X server running, no Wayland server as well
4. the Gui app would be the only graphical app in the system so may grab all the resources

As I stated previously, the old Qt app is self-sufficient. If I understand correctly, it starts an internal server and does not need any other running process. From my perspective, this would be the most convenient approach.

So, is it possible to run a Gio app in a similar mode? If not, I understand that Gio needs either X11 or Wayland. What would be easier to install on such a system?

Cheers,

Marek
>I have managed to succesfully cross-compile Gio to my system.
>
>Now, I get the error:
>
>wayland: wl_display_connect failed: no such file or directory

Do you know which display server the embedded system is using? Seems like it's probably X11. Gio ought to fall back to that if Wayland isn't running, but I don't know the details of the mechanism. Are you launching the application from within a graphical session?

>There is already such a question but maybe my question is more general. What do I need to run a Gio app on a minimum, embedded system? Which tags should I use during compilation?

I'm not sure that you need any special tags unless you want to force either only X11 or only Wayland support. There are `nox11` and `nowayland` tags for that.

>The current app is implemeted in Embedded Qt and with -qws option it is both client and server, and does not require anything else to run.
>
>The embedded system was prepared by someone else, I know that it is quite outdated and minimum. My current goal is to check whether Gio can be run there. Memory footprint, performance etc. are not important at the moment.

There are some specific graphics processing requirements that I don't have a list of (hopefully Elias can help here), and beyond that Gio depends on having either an X server or Wayland compositor running. That's it as far as I am aware, but I'm far from the most knowledgeable in our little community.

Cheers,
Chris
<54AE6832-8CBD-46A5-B54A-609A0A014313@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<1592225775801.3162@wil.waw.pl> (view parent)
On June 15, 2020 8:56:15 AM EDT, "Marek Małowidzki" <Marek.Malowidzki@wil.waw.pl> wrote:
>Dear Chris,
>
>thank you for your response.
>
>The situation looks as follows:
>1. there is no graphical session, I connect using a terminal
>2. the system is equipped with a touchscreen, if it matters
>3. there is no X server running, no Wayland server as well
>4. the Gui app would be the only graphical app in the system so may grab all the resources
>
>As I stated previously, the old Qt app is self-sufficient. If I understand correctly, it starts an internal server and does not need any other running process. From my perspective, this would be the most convenient approach.

I misunderstood you before; sorry about that!

Gio currently doesn't run in that kind of self-sufficient mode outside of Elias' work on unik [1]. I think that it ought to be possible for gio to fill that niche in the future, but I don't know where it falls on the roadmap.

I don't have short instructions on how to install a minimal X11 or Wayland environment, but I suspect that it's not too bad. I think you will get better performance with Wayland, but X11 might be easier to install.

>So, is it possible to run a Gio app in a similar mode? If not, I understand that Gio needs either X11 or Wayland. What would be easier to install on such a system?

I guess I answered this above.

Cheers,
Chris

[1] https://git.sr.ht/~eliasnaur/unik