~eliasnaur/gio

Mailing list for the Gio project for discussion and patches.

Send your message to ~eliasnaur/gio@lists.sr.ht; no account is required and you can post without being subscribed.

3 2

[TEST] test sending email to list using mutt

<20190804143323.GA4775@larrymbp14.local>
Testing sending email to the Gio mailing list using mutt on my Mac,
via Gmail servers.

If this works, these links may help other users:

Configuring mutt:

https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/wikis/UseCases/Gmail

Fixing mutt's "No Authenticators Available" message:

https://github.com/Homebrew/legacy-homebrew/issues/33419

Basically add this to your .muttrc:
  set smtp_authenticators = 'gssapi:login'

Creating an "app password" for your Google / Gmail account:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

-- Larry
<20190804145059.GA4938@larrymbp14.local>
In-Reply-To
<20190804143323.GA4775@larrymbp14.local> (view parent)
On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 10:33:25AM -0400, Larry Clapp wrote:
> Testing sending email to the Gio mailing list using mutt on my Mac,
> via Gmail servers.

It worked, yay.

To sum up, here were the settings I added to my .muttrc (which I admit
I already had a lot of other stuff in, so YMMV):

  set imap_user = 'my-gmail-account@gmail.com'
  set imap_pass = 'my-app-password'

  set folder = imaps://imap.gmail.com/
  set spoolfile = +INBOX
  # set record = "+[Gmail]/Sent Mail"
  set postponed = "+[Gmail]/Drafts"

  set smtp_url = 'smtps://my-gmail-account@smtp.gmail.com'
  set smtp_pass = 'my-app-password'
  set record=""

  set smtp_authenticators = 'gssapi:login'

In case it matters / you're curious: My email address shown here
(larry@theclapp.org) just forwards to my real gmail account, which is
just the usual accountname@gmail.com kind of thing.

-- Larry
<CAMAFT9VKX-q+mbFSqdpgBZB+jjG_-UKQs9mmnbg_vc=ju5exFg@mail.gmail.com>
On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 4:33 PM Larry Clapp <larry@theclapp.org> wrote:

> Testing sending email to the Gio mailing list using mutt on my Mac,
> via Gmail servers.
>
> If this works, these links may help other users:
>
> Configuring mutt:
>
> https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/wikis/UseCases/Gmail
>
> Fixing mutt's "No Authenticators Available" message:
>
> https://github.com/Homebrew/legacy-homebrew/issues/33419
>
> Basically add this to your .muttrc:
>   set smtp_authenticators = 'gssapi:login'
>
> Creating an "app password" for your Google / Gmail account:
>
> https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

In case you didn't know, the author of Sourcehut also created a text mode
email client in Go: https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/aerc. I've never used
Mutt myself,
but aerc supposedly fixes several shortcomings of Mutt, including being
responsive during network requests.

I plan to wean myself off Gmail at some point, and aerc would be my first
attempt.

 - elias
<20190804201327.GC1204@larrymbp14.local>
In-Reply-To
<CAMAFT9VKX-q+mbFSqdpgBZB+jjG_-UKQs9mmnbg_vc=ju5exFg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 08:58:29PM +0200, Elias Naur wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 4:33 PM Larry Clapp <larry@theclapp.org> wrote:
> > Testing sending email to the Gio mailing list using mutt on my Mac,
> > via Gmail servers.
>
> In case you didn't know, the author of Sourcehut also created a text
> mode email client in Go: https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/aerc. I've
> never used Mutt myself, but aerc supposedly fixes several
> shortcomings of Mutt, including being responsive during network
> requests.

Huh.  Thanks, I didn't know about aerc.  I looked at the video.  Looks
usable, at least.  I'll keep it in mind.

> I plan to wean myself off Gmail at some point, and aerc would be my
> first attempt.

Well, enjoy.  I find https://useplaintext.email uncompelling and
frequently laughable, but to each their own.

-- Larry