~eliasnaur/gio

Mailing list for the Gio project for discussion and patches.

Send your message to ~eliasnaur/gio@lists.sr.ht; no account is required and you can post without being subscribed.

1

menubars; multiple top-level windows; Slack

<20190804160039.GA5109@larrymbp14.local>
I'd like to see two things in Gio for the desktop:

* Menu bar interaction

macOS has a single menubar that changes, depending on which app is in
the foreground.  Being able to interact with it is going to be
critical for building any real-world Mac app.

I suspect that Windows and Linux have libraries for building and
interacting with per-window menubars, and I would think that
interacting with that would also be critical for building any
real-world Windows/Linux apps.

* Multiple top-level windows

Right now Gio creates a top-level window for you and that's the only
one you get to interact with.  That makes total sense for phones or
webpages, but not the desktop.  So supporting multiple top-levels
would be nice.  (Bonus points / extra credit for somehow supporting
that transparently in the browser! :)

I suppose one could just fork a new process per top-level window, and
then they could communicate via local RPC, but I think that would be
sub-optimal, if there's any way around it.

Just some thoughts.

Also -- I see you have an account on the Gophers Slack.  Do you ever
go there?  E.g. we had a brief discussion of Gio in the #ui channel,
and a later discussion (not directly related to Gio) brought up the
macOS menu-bar question.  (See
https://gophers.slack.com/archives/C4MA8EG6S/p1564420227017400).

-- Larry

p.s. I initially sent this to the wrong mailing list address -- which
is actually the one listed on the front page for the mailing list!

> Send your message to ~eliasnaur/gio-dev@lists.sr.ht; no account is
> required and you can post without being subscribed.

Needs to drop the "-dev".
<20190804185227.GA1204@larrymbp14.local>
In-Reply-To
<20190804160039.GA5109@larrymbp14.local> (view parent)
On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 12:00:39PM -0400, Larry Clapp wrote:
> I'd like to see two things in Gio for the desktop:
>
> * Menu bar interaction
> * Multiple top-level windows

Should I just file issues for these?

-- L