~eliasnaur/gio

Mailing list for the Gio project for discussion and patches.

Send your message to ~eliasnaur/gio@lists.sr.ht; no account is required and you can post without being subscribed.

2 2

Network transparency?

<20190807195154.GA30717@larrymbp14.local>
My (admittedly vague) understanding of Gio is that it sends graphics
commands to a canvas of some kind, and gets back keystrokes and mouse
clicks and positions, most of the time (always?) via channels.

So I wondered if Gio does or could support some mode where most of the
app sits on one machine and a thin client sits on another machine
(displaying graphics and sending back keystrokes, etc) and the channel
communication happens over the network?  Similar to the X11 protocol.

I haven't run X in a long time, but I know it was handy to be able to
start a program *there* and have its UI show up *here*.

-- Larry
<CAMAFT9Ucy6MP1aRhgy9tNd0J8qtaPLvneM2ba=UZmFNhbDjAXw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<20190807195154.GA30717@larrymbp14.local> (view parent)
> My (admittedly vague) understanding of Gio is that it sends graphics
> commands to a canvas of some kind, and gets back keystrokes and mouse
> clicks and positions, most of the time (always?) via channels.

Correct, all input come through a channel.

> So I wondered if Gio does or could support some mode where most of the
> app sits on one machine and a thin client sits on another machine
> (displaying graphics and sending back keystrokes, etc) and the channel
> communication happens over the network?  Similar to the X11 protocol.

Network transparency is indeed one use of the split between UI operations
and actual updating the window. Other uses are frame-by-frame replay,
integration with UI designer/debugger. And finally, easy testing/benchmarking.
In fact, I already split up the gophers demo so I could add a benchmark for

https://github.com/golang/go/issues/32591#issuecomment-517835565

 - elias
<20190808122256.GB36762@larrymbp14.local>
In-Reply-To
<CAMAFT9Ucy6MP1aRhgy9tNd0J8qtaPLvneM2ba=UZmFNhbDjAXw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Thu, Aug 08, 2019 at 11:04:40AM +0200, Elias Naur wrote:
> Network transparency is indeed one use of the split between UI
> operations and actual updating the window. Other uses are
> frame-by-frame replay, integration with UI designer/debugger. And
> finally, easy testing/benchmarking.  In fact, I already split up the
> gophers demo so I could add a benchmark for
>
> https://github.com/golang/go/issues/32591#issuecomment-517835565

That was a neat discussion, thanks for the link.

-- L