Contributing for specific operating systems

<733acb22-08d7-47ab-a629-17f807977ef0@www.fastmail.com>
I recently hacked in key release events so I could write games using gio. I
have access to X11, wayland, and Windows, but I have no MacOS devices to
test with. Is it acceptable for me to create a patch with support for some
operating systems that gio supports, but not others? If not, do you have any
recommendations on how to test for every supported OS variation?
<CAE_4BPCJpvdaPJMm=O48ew2qbnW-=1sE_4xX3_mUPO+3jTG7pg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<733acb22-08d7-47ab-a629-17f807977ef0@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
I'm not sure how Elias feels about this now / in general, but in the
past he accepted patches from me that didn't have working code for all
architectures, as long as each architecture had a compilable stub, so
that client code would at least compile across all platforms, even if
the functionality wasn't actually implemented.  This also gives people
that *do* have those architectures available a head start on where and
how to implement the new feature.

-- Larry

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 11:28 AM Josiah Niedrauer <josiah@jniedrauer.com> wrote:

> I recently hacked in key release events so I could write games using gio. I
> have access to X11, wayland, and Windows, but I have no MacOS devices to
> test with. Is it acceptable for me to create a patch with support for some
> operating systems that gio supports, but not others? If not, do you have any
> recommendations on how to test for every supported OS variation?
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)