~eliasnaur/gio

Re: How to install gio?

<C0XXNNPGRAFK.1BEQJ8MHMJOLN@toolbox>
On Fri Feb 28, 2020 at 16:44, Thierry Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi Elias,
>
> I want to test gio but I don't know how to install the library. It seems a
> very promising concept.
> I tried "go get git.sr.ht/~eliasnaur/gio" but it doesn't work. Can you
> help? Link to doc?
> (I'm learning Golang only for few months)

Certainly. I believe the confusion arises because there is no "go get" step if
you're using Go modules, and that the correct import path for Gio packages are
on the form "gioui.org/...", not "git.sr.ht/...".

Depending on your operating system, you may need to install libraries and
tools. See

	https://gioui.org/doc/install

With that in place, literally following the "Running Gio programs" section on the
gioui.org frontpage should result in a running Gio program. In particular, starting
with an empty directory:

	$ go mod init example.com
	$ go run gioui.org/example/kitchen

I assume you have the "go" tool in your $PATH (or %PATH%).

If that works for you, try copying one of the examples from Gio. For example,

	https://git.sr.ht/~eliasnaur/gio/tree/master/example/kitchen/kitchen.go

into your directory and run

	$ go run .

If that works, you can edit kitchen.go program to experiment with Gio.

More information:

Gio examples: https://git.sr.ht/~eliasnaur/gio/tree/master/example
An immediate mode primer: https://eliasnaur.com/blog/immediate-mode-gui-programming
Gophercon UK talk: https://youtube.com/watch?v=PxnL3-Sex3o
Package docs: https://pkg.go.dev/mod/gioui.org
#gioui Slack channel: https://gophers.slack.com

If you're a beginner, I recommend the #gioui Slack channel which is full
of helpful people. And myself, of course :)

-- elias