Re: Understanding drawing delay

<C3F7RCWGI8BE.1MROZ5K0Z7JTF@themachine>
On Fri Jun 12, 2020 at 18:09, Rajiv Kanchan wrote:
> >This is expected: the mouse cursor is drawn by the operating system independently of the window.
>
> May I ask whether this a consequence of the immediate mode design of
> Gio or is this something that can be fixed/improved over time as Gio
> matures. And how is it that GTK, a retained mode toolkit, does not
> have similar delay.

I'd say immediate mode is a better fit for low latency drawing. It's very
possible Gio has a bug or deficiency that increases the input-to-monitor
latency, so I'm interested in seeing your GTK program that shows less delay.

-- elias

Re: Understanding drawing delay

<CABydZCxxupTjaW56wZp50TYq1vy8MXQVu1v67Sm5kcaHox2GFQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<C3F7RCWGI8BE.1MROZ5K0Z7JTF@themachine> (view parent)
> so I'm interested in seeing your GTK program that shows less delay.
I do not have a custom app that I've coded, but I was talking in general.
Any GTK application on my distro elementary OS(Ubuntu derivative) is
able to keep up with the cursor.
For example drag-n-drop of files in the "Files" app or dragging the
divider in split view mode in the text editor "Code" or
even color picking using a color picker app.

Re: Understanding drawing delay

<CABydZCy-g5D=vV7Afq78cnN3bq5J++zsSsRGyXi6NN6WUR8x5A@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CABydZCxxupTjaW56wZp50TYq1vy8MXQVu1v67Sm5kcaHox2GFQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
I take that back. I do see a delay on GTK apps as well. For some
reason it wasn't apparent when I first tried. Apologies.
Export thread (mbox)