Pinephone and cross compiling for pmos/arm64

<C7WUTIPJ4LPZ.2ZI1VSNT8R2T7@calculon>
Hi all,

I was doing some experiments with gio on pinephone without any luck. It simply
doesn't seem to be supported by gio currently. (Oh i wish i would be able to
run gio apps on my pinephone :) )

However while experimenting with this i also configured a docker container to
compile arm64 binaries for postmarketos which might come in handy for some of
you, so here it is:

I just wanted to share this with you in case you want to cross compile gio apps
for postmarketos for arm64. This assumes linux as your host os, but it might
also be able to do it on osx.

Cross compiling gio apps for postmarketos for arm64:

First, run the following to set up qemu

docker run --rm --privileged multiarch/qemu-user-static --reset --persistent yes --credential yes

Then build the following docker image.

DOCKERFILE:

```
# Docker file to cross compile go binaries for alpine/postmarketos
FROM multiarch/alpine:arm64-edge

RUN apk add go libxkbcommon-dev mesa-dev gcc musl-dev wayland-dev
```

docker build -t gio-cross .

Last, run it to build your binary and cp it to your device.

docker run -v /home/jzs/temp/gio:/gio -w /gio/example/hello -it gio-cross go build
<C7WVDERY0CTQ.YLBZQ7OFUM7T@themachine>
In-Reply-To
<C7WUTIPJ4LPZ.2ZI1VSNT8R2T7@calculon> (view parent)
On Sat Dec 19, 2020 at 15:10, Jens Zeilund wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was doing some experiments with gio on pinephone without any luck. It simply
> doesn't seem to be supported by gio currently. (Oh i wish i would be able to
> run gio apps on my pinephone :) )

I assume the problem is that the pinephone GPU is not supported on Gio.
If so, I just want to note that I'm very close to releasing a new Gio
renderer, based on GPU compute shaders. The renderer is much more
efficient that the current, but my primary motivation is to create a CPU
fallback renderer using the same shader code, in turn leading to support
for every device Go runs. Including Pinephone :)

Elias
Tanguy Herrmann
<d889a67c-961f-4962-924a-d98068265ba9@evereska.org>
In-Reply-To
<C7WVDERY0CTQ.YLBZQ7OFUM7T@themachine> (view parent)
How come the GPU would not be supported by Gio?
Wouldn't the GPU driver make OpenGL works, and therefore, Gio with it? And since it seems Pinephone can display 3d with OpenGL, What could be the problem?

19 déc. 2020 16:37:23 Elias Naur <mail@eliasnaur.com>:

> On Sat Dec 19, 2020 at 15:10, Jens Zeilund wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was doing some experiments with gio on pinephone without any luck. It simply
>> doesn't seem to be supported by gio currently. (Oh i wish i would be able to
>> run gio apps on my pinephone :) )
>>

> I assume the problem is that the pinephone GPU is not supported on Gio.
> If so, I just want to note that I'm very close to releasing a new Gio
> renderer, based on GPU compute shaders. The renderer is much more
> efficient that the current, but my primary motivation is to create a CPU
> fallback renderer using the same shader code, in turn leading to support
> for every device Go runs. Including Pinephone :)
>
> Elias
<C7WYVC7KH3HC.1JPJD9ZV13L86@calculon>
In-Reply-To
<d889a67c-961f-4962-924a-d98068265ba9@evereska.org> (view parent)
On Sat Dec 19, 2020 at 6:17 PM CET, Tanguy Herrmann wrote:
> How come the GPU would not be supported by Gio?
> Wouldn't the GPU driver make OpenGL works, and therefore, Gio with it?
> And since it seems Pinephone can display 3d with OpenGL, What could be
> the problem?

It's due to pinephone not supporting opengl es 3 or GL_EXT_sRGB
primarily. Not sure it does half floats either. I can give you the exact
error message later if you're interested.

- Jens.

> 19 déc. 2020 16:37:23 Elias Naur <mail@eliasnaur.com>:
>
> > On Sat Dec 19, 2020 at 15:10, Jens Zeilund wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I was doing some experiments with gio on pinephone without any luck. It simply
> >> doesn't seem to be supported by gio currently. (Oh i wish i would be able to
> >> run gio apps on my pinephone :) )
> >>

> > I assume the problem is that the pinephone GPU is not supported on Gio.
> > If so, I just want to note that I'm very close to releasing a new Gio
> > renderer, based on GPU compute shaders. The renderer is much more
> > efficient that the current, but my primary motivation is to create a CPU
> > fallback renderer using the same shader code, in turn leading to support
> > for every device Go runs. Including Pinephone :)
> >
> > Elias
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)