Why is ModShortcutAlt "opt/alt" on macOS and "ctrl" everywhere else?

<CAE_4BPDzaOTNzG4U8BewrtZwbNg8wiVs5OhdNMSDqfyL-+aeLQ@mail.gmail.com>
See subject.

In particular, why is "ctrl" both "Short" and "ShortAlt" on non-macOS?
 Both Windows & Linux have and support the "alt" key.  Why wouldn't
"ShortAlt" be "alt" on all platforms?

— Larry
<CAMAFT9XD-+mU1XWSuqwxQ_-HL=XWGrr89oywvQZRk+Aykh=2OA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAE_4BPDzaOTNzG4U8BewrtZwbNg8wiVs5OhdNMSDqfyL-+aeLQ@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Sun, 1 May 2022 at 15:32, Larry Clapp <larry@theclapp.org> wrote:

> See subject.
>
> In particular, why is "ctrl" both "Short" and "ShortAlt" on non-macOS?
>  Both Windows & Linux have and support the "alt" key.  Why wouldn't
> "ShortAlt" be "alt" on all platforms?
>
> — Larry

key.Shortcut and key.ShortcutAlt is my attempt to enable portable shortcuts;
in particular macOS uses separate modifiers where other platforms don't.
For example, both moving the text caret by word and clipboard shortcuts use
"ctrl" on non-macOS whereas macOS uses alt/opt for movement, and cmd for
clipboard operations. Which is why Editor can just use ShortAlt for its word
movement shortcut and it will work naturally on all platforms.

I'm open to other approaches, of course. Let me know.

Elias
<CAE_4BPBzus+vd2UrJw+AVfR66AEJt_HZxfh3ADOukN0dR4t4Mg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAMAFT9XD-+mU1XWSuqwxQ_-HL=XWGrr89oywvQZRk+Aykh=2OA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Ah, thanks.  Yeah, that seems reasonable to me.

-- Larry

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 4:24 AM Elias Naur <mail@eliasnaur.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 May 2022 at 15:32, Larry Clapp <larry@theclapp.org> wrote:
> >
> > See subject.
> >
> > In particular, why is "ctrl" both "Short" and "ShortAlt" on non-macOS?
> >  Both Windows & Linux have and support the "alt" key.  Why wouldn't
> > "ShortAlt" be "alt" on all platforms?
> >
> > — Larry
>
> key.Shortcut and key.ShortcutAlt is my attempt to enable portable shortcuts;
> in particular macOS uses separate modifiers where other platforms don't.
> For example, both moving the text caret by word and clipboard shortcuts use
> "ctrl" on non-macOS whereas macOS uses alt/opt for movement, and cmd for
> clipboard operations. Which is why Editor can just use ShortAlt for its word
> movement shortcut and it will work naturally on all platforms.
>
> I'm open to other approaches, of course. Let me know.
>
> Elias
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)