bogus destroy event caused by maximizing on linux ubuntu 20.10

<Z7CG0iAUXdUQQfyjiT0Obo4ZGBub4fEgDxm2wkiAIKsmLoR1_lSwDtCFpxZqRU7ry4DmNN-eKSyLjZ7ftTCxBJslfWnv73w2Mkm8rkkE8yU=@protonmail.ch>
Currently the go.mod on my project refers to this build:

gioui.org v0.0.0-20201229000053-33103593a1b4

and I have discovered that on Linux there seems to be some egl
error occurring that seems to shut down the render loop, main
trigger being to maximize the window, notably, on a 4K monitor
to near 3840x2160. It also can happen sometimes just by sizing
the window too tall, the vertical axis seems to be the trigger,
as any amount of width doesn't seem to affect it.

I tried upgrading to the latest version and it is the same.

My logs show the event is triggered and thereafter the
interface stops This only seems to happen on linux, 100% sure
replicates on 20.10, could be others but that's all I run.

This is the error here:

  newContext: eglCreateWindowSurface failed 0x3003 (sRGB=false)

Once this error occurs, the window becomes entirely unresponsive.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
<C99YB8QTL41E.2FOAG9HPZYD39@themachine>
In-Reply-To
<Z7CG0iAUXdUQQfyjiT0Obo4ZGBub4fEgDxm2wkiAIKsmLoR1_lSwDtCFpxZqRU7ry4DmNN-eKSyLjZ7ftTCxBJslfWnv73w2Mkm8rkkE8yU=@protonmail.ch> (view parent)
On Sun Feb 14, 2021 at 20:17, Loki Verloren wrote:
> Currently the go.mod on my project refers to this build:
>
> gioui.org v0.0.0-20201229000053-33103593a1b4
>
> and I have discovered that on Linux there seems to be some egl
> error occurring that seems to shut down the render loop, main
> trigger being to maximize the window, notably, on a 4K monitor
> to near 3840x2160. It also can happen sometimes just by sizing
> the window too tall, the vertical axis seems to be the trigger,
> as any amount of width doesn't seem to affect it.
>
> I tried upgrading to the latest version and it is the same.
>
> My logs show the event is triggered and thereafter the
> interface stops This only seems to happen on linux, 100% sure
> replicates on 20.10, could be others but that's all I run.
>
> This is the error here:
>
>   newContext: eglCreateWindowSurface failed 0x3003 (sRGB=false)
>
> Once this error occurs, the window becomes entirely unresponsive.

I tried a few combinations on my Fedora 33: Sway, Gnome, Gnome on Xorg.
All with a 4K monitor in portrait and landscape mode. I didn't succeed
in triggering the error.

0x3003 is EGL_BAD_ALLOC which sounds like an out of memory condition.
Does the error happen every time and immediately after maximizing the
window? If you have to, say, maximize a few times or resize the window a
bit before triggering there may be a latent GPU memory leak in Gio.

Elias
<VFXQR7IKLHCz14bpDEh0GoV1ADKa0VbDTVAJNzVUl9hXh3nlBU83d5oFuGg2zHkJXfqBqaQGGwKmWChhdj-mACojNHrsCA2QeeDBuoq-2i4=@protonmail.ch>
In-Reply-To
<C99YB8QTL41E.2FOAG9HPZYD39@themachine> (view parent)
I have discovered that wayland in general is a pointless thing for most users
currently due to nvidia lack of support, and so I iterated through some
alternative nvidia driver versions to see if the bug had to do with the driver.

Sure enough, "NVIDIA Server Driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-450-server"
does not have this bug \o/ w00t!

Since anyway most of the users will be running on windows which is fine (and
great work eliminating the dependencies for it!), now just a note for nvidia
drivers on linux to suggest for 10 series use that driver as it has no issues
and there is a known issue of 460 and 4k displays and windows taller than,
not sure but I can guess it's 1080.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

> On Sun Feb 14, 2021 at 20:17, Loki Verloren wrote:
>
> > Currently the go.mod on my project refers to this build:
> >
> > gioui.org v0.0.0-20201229000053-33103593a1b4
> >
> > and I have discovered that on Linux there seems to be some egl
> >
> > error occurring that seems to shut down the render loop, main
> >
> > trigger being to maximize the window, notably, on a 4K monitor
> >
> > to near 3840x2160. It also can happen sometimes just by sizing
> >
> > the window too tall, the vertical axis seems to be the trigger,
> >
> > as any amount of width doesn't seem to affect it.
> >
> > I tried upgrading to the latest version and it is the same.
> >
> > My logs show the event is triggered and thereafter the
> >
> > interface stops This only seems to happen on linux, 100% sure
> >
> > replicates on 20.10, could be others but that's all I run.
> >
> > This is the error here:
> >
> > newContext: eglCreateWindowSurface failed 0x3003 (sRGB=false)
> >
> > Once this error occurs, the window becomes entirely unresponsive.
>
> I tried a few combinations on my Fedora 33: Sway, Gnome, Gnome on Xorg.
>
> All with a 4K monitor in portrait and landscape mode. I didn't succeed
>
> in triggering the error.
>
> 0x3003 is EGL_BAD_ALLOC which sounds like an out of memory condition.
>
> Does the error happen every time and immediately after maximizing the
>
> window? If you have to, say, maximize a few times or resize the window a
>
> bit before triggering there may be a latent GPU memory leak in Gio.
>
> Elias
<Cuwzf-AJ-RgMGPVDQmfjphZh-vPJJJxYZYY7FwUf_hB4YDWxzCSJpHUF_P5vnJ_GX8wJsZxofpEp8O1LYHPEf_46TxKIJeuXlf5AAxCRRNw=@protonmail.ch>
In-Reply-To
<VFXQR7IKLHCz14bpDEh0GoV1ADKa0VbDTVAJNzVUl9hXh3nlBU83d5oFuGg2zHkJXfqBqaQGGwKmWChhdj-mACojNHrsCA2QeeDBuoq-2i4=@protonmail.ch> (view parent)
 I have discovered that wayland in general is a pointless thing for most users
 currently due to nvidia lack of support, and so I iterated through some
 alternative nvidia driver versions to see if the bug had to do with the driver.
 Sure enough, "NVIDIA Server Driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-450-server"
 does not have this bug \o/ w00t!

 Since anyway most of the users will be running on windows which is fine (and
 great work eliminating the dependencies for it!), now just a note for nvidia
 drivers on linux to suggest for 10 series use that driver as it has no issues
 and there is a known issue of 460 and 4k displays and windows taller than,
 not sure but I can guess it's 1080.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)