Creating an iOS application

<d52b16bc-cda5-dae1-1602-6e36cbfa4f88@meessen.net>
Hello,

I’m trying as a full noob to create an iOS application with Gio and I’m
a bit confused by the bundle id. I have seen that it’s a string that
must be unique and the convention is to use "com.mysite.appname" for
instance. What is unclear from the GIO documentation
(https://gioui.org/doc/mobile) is if I have to do something with Xcode
to create or register it.

The confusing sentense is " the bundle id must match an id previously
provisioned in Xcode". What exactly do I need to do in Xcode to
"provision" the bundel id ? Do I have to create a project with that
bundle id ?

A step by step tutorial with screen captures for noobs like me that want
to write their firs ios app would be helpful.

--
Bien cordialement,
Ch.Meessen

While I'm sure it's possible to register the bundle ID through Xcode,
that's not the only way to do it. You can also register it through the
developer.apple.com site. Assuming you have already signed up for the
iOS Developer Program, you can sign into your account on
developer.apple.com, and somewhere under the section called something
like "Certificates, Identifiers, and Provisioning Profiles", you can
register your bundle ID. I don't have step-by-step instructions with
screenshots, but I hope that helps.

Matt
<CAFcc3FTji0KsJJ0cM9=sqdzAH-M3+VEHSFkZmv=_p6QDi9+d_g@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<bebf183d-c03c-9c19-7c60-f54e9b7d0e86@pobox.com> (view parent)
> While I'm sure it's possible to register the bundle ID through Xcode,
> that's not the only way to do it. You can also register it through the
> developer.apple.com site. Assuming you have already signed up for the
> iOS Developer Program, you can sign into your account on
> developer.apple.com, and somewhere under the section called something
> like "Certificates, Identifiers, and Provisioning Profiles", you can
> register your bundle ID. I don't have step-by-step instructions with
> screenshots, but I hope that helps.

I've done this process for sprig [0], and I can confirm Matt's point.
I don't have a step-by-step guide either (and it was sometime last
year, so I'm fuzzy), but you basically create a bundle identifier on
their site, then create a provisioning profile that is intended to
publish apps with that bundle id.

When you issue the gogio command with the bundle id, gogio will search
the installed provisioning profiles for one that can sign for that
bundle, and then will attempt to use that one. Naturally this fails if
you don't have a provisioning profile, and it can also choose the
wrong one if you have multiple provisioning profiles that can sign for
a given bundle id (I've been meaning to add a mechanism to force the
choice).

I only have sprig published in Testflight, so I can't help with
anything related to actually getting onto the app store, but I'm happy
to take questions about iOS builds and will do my best to help.

Cheers,
Chris

[0] https://git.sr.ht/~whereswaldon/sprig
<5e4b00b6-47c5-2f09-bcb2-bd7790399102@meessen.net>
In-Reply-To
<CAFcc3FTji0KsJJ0cM9=sqdzAH-M3+VEHSFkZmv=_p6QDi9+d_g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
I registered on the developer.apple.com
<http://developer.apple.com> site and didn’t see how to register a
bundle id. It seam that we are required to subscribe to developer
membership thing which cost 100USD per year to be able to create a
bundle id on the web site.

I don’t want to run a test flight because my Mac is not retina. I would
like to run the app on my iOS device because they have a retina display.
Is this possible without paying the fee ? It is just for testing.

> Le 16 juin 2021 à 18:19, Chris Waldon
> <christopher.waldon.dev@gmail.com
> <christopher.waldon.dev@gmail.com>> a écrit :
>
>> While I'm sure it's possible to register the bundle ID through Xcode,
>> that's not the only way to do it. You can also register it through the
>> developer.apple.com <http://developer.apple.com> site. Assuming you
>> have already signed up for the
>> iOS Developer Program, you can sign into your account on
>> developer.apple.com <http://developer.apple.com>, and somewhere under
>> the section called something
>> like "Certificates, Identifiers, and Provisioning Profiles", you can
>> register your bundle ID. I don't have step-by-step instructions with
>> screenshots, but I hope that helps.
>
> I've done this process for sprig [0], and I can confirm Matt's point.
> I don't have a step-by-step guide either (and it was sometime last
> year, so I'm fuzzy), but you basically create a bundle identifier on
> their site, then create a provisioning profile that is intended to
> publish apps with that bundle id.
>
> When you issue the gogio command with the bundle id, gogio will search
> the installed provisioning profiles for one that can sign for that
> bundle, and then will attempt to use that one. Naturally this fails if
> you don't have a provisioning profile, and it can also choose the
> wrong one if you have multiple provisioning profiles that can sign for
> a given bundle id (I've been meaning to add a mechanism to force the
> choice).
>
> I only have sprig published in Testflight, so I can't help with
> anything related to actually getting onto the app store, but I'm happy
> to take questions about iOS builds and will do my best to help.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> [0] https://git.sr.ht/~whereswaldon/sprig
> <https://git.sr.ht/~whereswaldon/sprig>