~emersion/public-inbox

1

gh2srht: warn if body/description length exceeds todo.sr.ht max length

<A7C9B909-1587-45C1-AABB-5DE39584817F@aparcar.org>

testing the gh2srht tool I’m seeing issues if the content length exceeds 16384 characters.

The import silently fails and no todos/tickets are added.

Drew suggested to paste such lengthy messages to paste.sr.ht and link them instead, maybe this could be automated within the gh2srht tool or at least an error message could warn users and skip specific issues.

Best,
Paul
<-xCfegEUub38fI7UI5YDiBg4HYnrumUjjGzwPdnal77unEH77678TVpbkh3OoiT3-1BeNeo7qW-CvNiq5ko9Olw2rWH7n5xjFQ3zYhdg9RM=@emersion.fr>
In-Reply-To
<A7C9B909-1587-45C1-AABB-5DE39584817F@aparcar.org> (view parent)
On Monday, January 17th, 2022 at 14:54, Paul Spooren <mail@aparcar.org> wrote:

> testing the gh2srht tool I’m seeing issues if the content length
> exceeds 16384 characters.
>
> The import silently fails and no todos/tickets are added.

That's definitely not great!

> Drew suggested to paste such lengthy messages to paste.sr.ht and link
> them instead, maybe this could be automated within the gh2srht tool
> or at least an error message could warn users and skip specific issues.

A warning should be pretty easy to implement. A better solution based
on paste.sr.ht would be a bit complicated, because gh2srht is supposed
to be entirely stateless in its current design. Maybe it could be
possible to hack up a script to parse the JSON produced by gh2srht and
use hut to create pastes for long descriptions and comments.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)