~emersion/soju-dev

3 2

Upstream MOTD

<YMDs2rKtMQyhiUcV@gpanders.com>
Hello,

A feature I'd like to see in soju is the ability to view the upstream
network's MOTD. I am happy to send in a patch that does this, but before
I got started I wanted to first a) see if this is a desired feature of
soju and b) make sure there is not already existing work on this that I
would be replicating.

I'm thinking I would create a new BouncerServ command `network motd
<network>` that would return the given network's MOTD. The upstream
connection can also forward the RPL_MOTD messages directly to the
downstream connection so that the MOTD is shown on the client side upon
connection; however, I know some people don't like seeing the MOTD every
time they connect so maybe this is not a desirable feature. I suppose it
could be configurable, but I'm wary of adding more configuration options
to soju and the ability to query the MOTD on demand (using `network
motd`) seems like a good compromise.

Let me know if the above sounds okay and I will get started on a v1
patch.

Thanks,

Greg
<FtyHBj-xFGOS1RNDDbm_qC02qVMGkM57wcqh63IGOHGz6GevVh4PvhPPHfP6IFrKro2e4Kp-2ugMsxWyy_MAnmE4SKYMmhJrL7Uo_w5QGNk=@emersion.fr>
In-Reply-To
<YMDs2rKtMQyhiUcV@gpanders.com> (view parent)
Hi Greg,

On Wednesday, June 9th, 2021 at 18:31, Gregory Anders <greg@gpanders.com> wrote:

> A feature I'd like to see in soju is the ability to view the upstream
> network's MOTD. I am happy to send in a patch that does this, but before
> I got started I wanted to first a) see if this is a desired feature of
> soju and b) make sure there is not already existing work on this that I
> would be replicating.

Interesting. I personally don't care too much about MOTD, hence why soju
doesn't send it when a client connects. Many servers have a pretty long
MOTD, so that also saves connect time on low-end network connections.

> I'm thinking I would create a new BouncerServ command `network motd
> <network>` that would return the given network's MOTD. The upstream
> connection can also forward the RPL_MOTD messages directly to the
> downstream connection so that the MOTD is shown on the client side upon
> connection; however, I know some people don't like seeing the MOTD every
> time they connect so maybe this is not a desirable feature. I suppose it
> could be configurable, but I'm wary of adding more configuration options
> to soju and the ability to query the MOTD on demand (using `network
> motd`) seems like a good compromise.

The idea of sending the MOTD on-demand looks good to me. However, instead of
having a new BouncerServ command, we could use the existing IRC command
MOTD [1], which has the exact semantics we want here: request the MOTD to be
sent.

I agree that it would be better if we could avoid introducing a new
configuration option.

What do you think?

Simon

[1]: https://modern.ircdocs.horse/#motd-message
<E64LcNYnPuA6xCIMVJPo3xv_R7p3YWBnSppJdWlz9reFGHWWSheaLbgy4v-GuPVH3Q1jr8ahO3a0CVYvHQcRu_8BnHM_ml03dyjiLqhzXPo=@emersion.fr>
In-Reply-To
<FtyHBj-xFGOS1RNDDbm_qC02qVMGkM57wcqh63IGOHGz6GevVh4PvhPPHfP6IFrKro2e4Kp-2ugMsxWyy_MAnmE4SKYMmhJrL7Uo_w5QGNk=@emersion.fr> (view parent)
Note, many clients allow sending the MOTD command with `/motd`.
<YMDzpw3RF4lmSJ/a@gpanders.com>
On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 16:37 +0000, Simon Ser wrote:
>The idea of sending the MOTD on-demand looks good to me. However,
>instead of having a new BouncerServ command, we could use the existing
>IRC command MOTD, which has the exact semantics we want here: request
>the MOTD to be sent.

Yes I think this is a better approach. The reason I suggested an
explicit BouncerServ command is because I mistakenly believed that my
client (Weechat) sent an MOTD message automatically upon connection;
however, this does not actually appear to be the case, so using the
built-in MOTD message does seem like the right choice.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)