~foxcpp/maddy

Opportunities for really helpful contributions

<0127ada970db031cb58302dc2d92c4fc@disroot.org>
Hello, people.

Due to various IRL stuff, I cannot really invest a lot of time into
maddy development now. However, I am available to help with with
guidance and reviews if someone wants to contribute.

Below I will list several points I want to work at but do not really
have much time.

1. "good first issue" label on GitHub

There is a number (6 currently) of issues marked on GitHub tracker[1]
that are rather trivial to implement. Most of these do not require
extensive knowledge of email protocols nor familiarity with maddy code
base internals.

There are also "good first issue" label in the go-imap-sql backend
repository tracker[2].

2. Storage quotas support (sql IMAP storage)

Implement restrictions to the total size and count of messages on
per-user and probably global level.

This involves digging in (sadly) poorly documented go-imap-sql source
code.

3. Milter protocol support

emersion's go-milter library is in a huge need of client
implementation[3].

Implementing it and then integrating it in maddy[4] will make it usable
with a huge amount of third-party filters.

4. Buffer message body on disk

Currently, maddy still holds the whole message in memory while handling
it. That might be an issue for resource-constrained systems.

It would be nice to make it

5. Restrict message header size to prevent abuse

With point 4 implemented, the message header will still be in RAM for
handling purposes. This needs a number of size limitations in
go-message[5].

--

These are only a few possibilities for contribution that could yield the
biggest outcome. You can always pick anything else from the GitHub issue

[1]: https://github.com/foxcpp/maddy/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22good+first+issue%22
[2]: https://github.com/foxcpp/go-imap-sql/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22good+first+issue%22
[3]: https://github.com/emersion/go-milter/issues/3
[4]: https://github.com/foxcpp/maddy/issues/16