~julienxx/castor

5 2

Building on musl lib-c

<C2GTV4XD4YPM.9VY6OTQQQM68@joel-desktop>
Hello, sorry for bothering the mailing list. But I am tring to package
Castor on an Alpine Linux virtual machine, but cargo is failing to
build.

It looks like glibc is a hard requirement and cargo is trying to build
against that.

Here is the error log:

Running
     `/home/joel/aports/testing/castor/src/castor-0.7.0/target/release/build/glib-sys-cc3e8d04de13526d/build-script-build`
     error: failed to run custom build command for `glib-sys v0.9.1`

     Caused by:
       process didn't exit successfully:
       `/home/joel/aports/testing/castor/src/castor-0.7.0/target/release/build/glib-sys-cc3e8d04de13526d/build-script-build`
       (exit code: 1)
       --- stderr
       `"pkg-config" "--libs" "--cflags" "glib-2.0" "glib-2.0 >= 2.42"`
       did not exit successfully: exit code: 1
       --- stderr
       Package glib-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
       Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glib-2.0.pc'
       Package 'glib-2.0', required by 'virtual:world', not found
       Package 'glib-2.0', required by 'virtual:world', not found

	>>> ERROR: castor: build failed

I was just wondering if you had any advice or knowledge since I am quite
new to building Rust packages.

I can show you the build script I am using if you are interesting in it.
<48b05bac-c183-5121-713d-e697768a6eda@typed-hole.org>
In-Reply-To
<C2GTV4XD4YPM.9VY6OTQQQM68@joel-desktop> (view parent)
Hi Joel,

I haven't tried building Castor on musl libc yet but from the trace you
are missing the glib package which is used by GTK is not related to
glibc https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/main/x86/glib
Hope it helps, don't hesitate to ask questions if you need help.
<C2HMY9W96549.20MRQUTEJUZY2@joel-desktop>
In-Reply-To
<48b05bac-c183-5121-713d-e697768a6eda@typed-hole.org> (view parent)
Thanks Julien,

castor is now compiling. I just need to figure out how to get the
desktop files etc. installed.

Speaking of which, is there a location for the default config to be
installed to, like /etc/ or /usr/share?

Also FYI, I was given a warning during compiling that you have used a
deprecated feature in GTK:

warning: use of deprecated item
'gtk::WidgetExt::override_background_color'
  --> src/main.rs:44:18

     44 |
     content_view.override_background_color(gtk::StateFlags::NORMAL,
     Some(&color));
        |                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	      = note: `#[warn(deprecated)]` on by default

I am compiling 0.7.0, so I am not update to date with the master. I just
thought I would let you know in case it is still an issue.
<ed486f86-6897-769e-cb8b-e1b3ec73a1fa@typed-hole.org>
In-Reply-To
<48b05bac-c183-5121-713d-e697768a6eda@typed-hole.org> (view parent)
Hi Joel,
Regarding Castor files `make install` should take care of it and put
everything where needed.
Castor uses two files besides icons and desktop,
~/.config/castor/settings and ~/.local/share/castor/bookmarks.

Just pushed 0.8.0 that fixes the deprecation warning among other things.
<C2J9E5H66ZRY.1LM1JSNV5GL5O@joel-desktop>
In-Reply-To
<48b05bac-c183-5121-713d-e697768a6eda@typed-hole.org> (view parent)
Hello Julien,

Thank you for your continued support. The reason I was asking is because
I am packaging Castor for Alpine Linux, and I don't think I can just use
the makefile.

I just wanted to say that the compile has gone well, but it appears that
the tests are failing, which causes the build to fail. It is all rather
inconsistant though, rerunning the job it will sometimes pass.

Here are the jobs that were ran:
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/merge_requests/7562/pipelines

Here is the build script that I wrote for Alpine Linux:
https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/blob/d6f89e6706d131eb72c3098fa3dd777b5da4ba45/testing/castor/APKBUILD

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
<db6a38ad-880e-7ce7-3b11-1cb21baff9f8@typed-hole.org>
In-Reply-To
<48b05bac-c183-5121-713d-e697768a6eda@typed-hole.org> (view parent)
Hey no problem :) In your build script you need to run the tests on a
single thread just like in the Makefile with `cargo test --
--test-threads=1`.
Export thread (mbox)