~lattis/muon

2 2

Implement semantic versioning for easier packaging

<wPjhrtnauq3W6yQoMO8fxIzXjnU5BJkZl9cMW9apk_qlIneI-T9R3KGF1kmEps0B9UKKr6Frn4FN4M_gw-70we6NtbbV73Yh5_HF-A5Magc=@protonmail.com>
Hello, I recently developed an interest on porting this project to the FreeBSD tree, however the repository does not have any stable releases I can use to download tarballs from. I suggest if possible creating an stable release following semantic versioning, to ease porting efforts where cloning the latest commit is not viable.

Thank you,
Daniel.
<f7e07575-2a97-f805-41fa-729c9c8076de@archlinux.org>
In-Reply-To
<wPjhrtnauq3W6yQoMO8fxIzXjnU5BJkZl9cMW9apk_qlIneI-T9R3KGF1kmEps0B9UKKr6Frn4FN4M_gw-70we6NtbbV73Yh5_HF-A5Magc=@protonmail.com> (view parent)
On 10/30/21 8:16 AM, Daniel Pérez wrote:
> Hello, I recently developed an interest on porting this project to
> the FreeBSD tree, however the repository does not have any stable
> releases I can use to download tarballs from. I suggest if possible
> creating an stable release following semantic versioning, to ease
> porting efforts where cloning the latest commit is not viable.

As a matter of curiosity, what do you want to use it for? I would be
hesitant to call muon stable, since among various other TODO topics is
adding an installation functionality.

That's something fairly central to the goal of reimplementing and
providing an alternative to the reference meson.

I would expect ~lattis to wait until at least then to tag a stable
release, since that would be the point when muon can first achieve the
status of completely replacing meson as the build tool (for at least
some projects).

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User

Something I'm not sure about is how to determine when muon is at the
release stage.  Perhaps being able to install projects is a good
milestone.  I would personally also like to see all applicable tests
from meson's `test cases/common` pass.  I'm worried if muon is released
with too little functionality, people will write it off too quickly.

Stone
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)