~leon_plickat/lavalauncher

4 2

A sample configuration file would be very helpful for new users

<20200521173109.zpuks4ygcownehmo@mordor>
I was browsing the sr.ht project list an saw your project. I cloned the source
and successfully built the code. I skipped the installation step, since I just
wanted to test it out, and I'm running NixOS, so ordinay install commands
generally don't work. Running the executable found at `build/lavalauncher`,
but I was presented with the message "You need to provide the path to a config
file"; this is a fine error message, and I am not at all confused by that, but
my reaction to that is dismay because now I need to think about how I want to
configure the tool.

It would be nice if there were a sample configuration file provided in the
repository. It probably doesn't make too much sense, since there is no set of
"defaults" that would make sense for very many people (everyone uses a different
set of programs, for example), but it would be useful for the purpose of
documentation.

I didn't neglect the documentation found in the `doc` directory, but after
skimming that for a minute or two, I got a little confused because it seemed
nontrivial.

Hopefully this is useful feedback; you can do with it what you will. However,
if you have the time, I would personally appreciate seeing what sample
configuration file looks like.
Philip White
<77cc8ab9-7f59-4f83-a1a6-3858f038135c@pswhite.org>
In-Reply-To
<20200521173109.zpuks4ygcownehmo@mordor> (view parent)
Just started using Mutt, and looks like my email client is messed up, so
that last email didn't get sent correctly...hence the "DKIM signature: X
fail" on lists.sr.ht.
<C2WLRTC161OV.2P33YAZBSYRUR@tarazed>
On Thu May 21, 2020 at 9:31 PM CEST,  wrote:
> Running the executable found at `build/lavalauncher`, but I was
> presented with the message "You need to provide the path to a config
> file"; this is a fine error message, and I am not at all confused by
> that, but my reaction to that is dismay because now I need to think
> about how I want to configure the tool.

Well, obviously you need to configure it. LavaLauncher has buttons
which display an image and execute a command; How am I (and therefore
LavaLauncher) supposed to know what images exists where on your
installation or what is a sensible command to run by default? There
simply can not be a default for this.

If I ever would make LavaLauncher start without a configuration file,
than only to let it display "You need to provide the path to a
configuration file" on the bar itself.

> I didn't neglect the documentation found in the `doc` directory, but
> after skimming that for a minute or two, I got a little confused
> because it seemed nontrivial.

I might have phrased a bit to complex, but the configuration syntax
really is quite trivial.

Here is a sample:

	setting
	{
		position bottom;
		layer bottom;
		icon-size 60;
		border-top 2;
		border-right 2;
		border-bottom 0;
		border-left 0;
		output all;
		exclusive-zone true;
		cursor-name hand;

		background-colour "#202020";
	}

	items
	{
		button # first button
		{
			image-path "/path/to/image";
			command "command you want to run";
		}

		button # this is the second button
		{
			image-path "/path/to/image";
			command "command you want to run";
		}

		spacer # a spacer
		{
			length 20;
		}

		button # and finally a third button
		{
			image-path "/path/to/image";
			command "command you want to run";
		}
	}

As you can see, it is exactly the way I described it in the man page.
The error messages are also written to be helpful for when you are
writing your own configuration file.

Friendly greetings,
Leon Plickat
<C2WM6OVJZ0ZD.1Y4RZJ33WAW8R@tarazed>
In-Reply-To
<77cc8ab9-7f59-4f83-a1a6-3858f038135c@pswhite.org> (view parent)
On Thu May 21, 2020 at 9:52 PM CEST, Philip White wrote:
> Just started using Mutt, and looks like my email client is messed up, so
> that last email didn't get sent correctly...hence the "DKIM signature: X
> fail" on lists.sr.ht.

I received your message, so everything is fine. And I am also not one
of those devs who will scream at you for slightly breaking mailing
list protocol, so don't worry.

But mutt kinda sucks, try aerc instead: https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/aerc

Friendly greetings,
Leon Plickat
Philip White
<7bcd8aab-d1ba-e061-4b3c-f2a9c1da54b1@pswhite.org>
In-Reply-To
<C2WLRTC161OV.2P33YAZBSYRUR@tarazed> (view parent)
On 5/21/20 2:01 PM, Leon Plickat wrote:
> Well, obviously you need to configure it. LavaLauncher has buttons
> which display an image and execute a command; How am I (and therefore
> LavaLauncher) supposed to know what images exists where on your
> installation or what is a sensible command to run by default? There
> simply can not be a default for this.

Yeah, I completely agree. I would not suggest that.

>> I didn't neglect the documentation found in the `doc` directory, but
>> after skimming that for a minute or two, I got a little confused
>> because it seemed nontrivial.
>
> I might have phrased a bit to complex, but the configuration syntax
> really is quite trivial.
>
> Here is a sample:

Awesome, thanks for that. Just from that sample, I saw exactly what I
needed to do within 5 seconds. Before, when I was reading the
documentation, I was afraid it was more complicated, since there were
terms like "contexts" and "assignments". I'm sure it would not have
taken too much effort to figure out, but the sample you sent made the
basic usage very obvious. Just like a picture is worth 1000 words, an
example is worth about the same.
Export thread (mbox)