~lioploum/offpunk-users

2 2

Initian syncing of a new subscription

Simon Castellan <simon@phis.me>
Details
Message ID
<Y48lUyKyY2oUMslB@yoga>
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Hello,

Thanks for the work on offpunk! I'm having a lot of fun discovering the tool.

I love the idea of subscribing to gemini feeds and syncing once and for
all. But I am left wondering how to configure it? At the moment, if I
understand correctly, upon subscribing to a new feed, the next
synchronisation will download every article of the feed, along with
every link occurring in it. This seems a bit much to me, and can result
in very long initial synchronisation (starting from ploum.net generates
more than a thousand downloads that I will probably not read). This
raises two questions:

- Downloading everything may waste time and bandwidth but this may be a
  price to pay
- More importantly, from a user point of view, it pollutes the tour by
  adding the whole feed to it.

I was wondering if you have given any thought about this. A first easy
solution would be to limit the downloading of the last 10 entries of a
new feed by default, for instance.

Cheers,

Simon.
Details
Message ID
<167032687775.8.7068790634424492802.81806362@ploum.eu>
In-Reply-To
<Y48lUyKyY2oUMslB@yoga> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On 22/12/06 12:19, Simon Castellan - simon at phis.me wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Thanks for the work on offpunk! I'm having a lot of fun discovering the tool.
>
>I love the idea of subscribing to gemini feeds and syncing once and for
>all. But I am left wondering how to configure it? At the moment, if I
>understand correctly, upon subscribing to a new feed, the next
>synchronisation will download every article of the feed, along with
>every link occurring in it. This seems a bit much to me, and can result
>in very long initial synchronisation (starting from ploum.net generates
>more than a thousand downloads that I will probably not read). This

Hey,

Thanks for trying offpunk. The problem of "downloading too much" only
happens for the first synchronisation and I feel that it’s quite inline
with the philosophy because, afterward, you can explore the capsule
offline.

Now, there’s a trick to avoid polluting your tour and easing that first
synchronisation.

1. Add the feed to a non-subscribed list (it could be as simple as
putting the feed in your tour)
2. Synchronise
3. Now and only now subscribe to the feed.

Another alternative is to run once the sync with --depth 0

offpunk --sync --depth 0

In both case, this means that each item in the feed will be downloaded
but not the 2nd level (not following links inside those items).

Starting there, offpunk will not put those item in the tour any more
(because they already exist) and thus will never download that 2nd level
unless explicitely told.

Only new items appearing in the capsule/feed will be downloaded in the
future.

TBH, I now have the reflex to add a feed to my reading list before
subscribing to it to avoid polluting my tour.

Now that I explained how to workaround the issue, the question of making
it a default behaviour is a very trick one: what arbitrary limit to put?
How to bypass it if needed? How to make it clear and obvious? That’s a
lot of questions for -devel but I hope that the answer allows you to
workaround the current issue.

And, yes, first synchronisations are always a bit impressive because
offpunk is building the cache of what you like. The more you use it, the
faster the --sync because lot of links point to already downloaded
ressources. (my ~/.cache/offpunk is now 13Go after one full year of
browsing).
Simon Castellan <simon@phis.me>
Details
Message ID
<20221206114921.mfdihj2coaad2jiv@yoga>
In-Reply-To
<167032687775.8.7068790634424492802.81806362@ploum.eu> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Thanks for the quick reply!
> Now, there’s a trick to avoid polluting your tour and easing that first
> synchronisation.
> 
> 1. Add the feed to a non-subscribed list (it could be as simple as
> putting the feed in your tour)
> 2. Synchronise
> 3. Now and only now subscribe to the feed.
> 
> Another alternative is to run once the sync with --depth 0

Thanks, this makes sense!

> 
> offpunk --sync --depth 0
> 
> In both case, this means that each item in the feed will be downloaded
> but not the 2nd level (not following links inside those items).

Great, I did not know this option (using the sync command from inside offpunk), will keep it in mind.

> Now that I explained how to workaround the issue, the question of making
> it a default behaviour is a very trick one: what arbitrary limit to put?
> How to bypass it if needed? How to make it clear and obvious? That’s a
> lot of questions for -devel but I hope that the answer allows you to
> workaround the current issue.

It could be either (1) an option of subscribe or (2) subscribe could ask the question to the user.

Best,

Simon.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)