~mariusor/mpris-tools

2 2

Ignoring non-music MPRIS-compatible apps

Timur Demin <me@tdem.in>
<20210709203039.6f785dcc@haseul>
The MPRIS2 API seems to have a way to disambiguate players by bus name
[1]. A number of players (Celluloid, browser MPRIS support, etc) also
implement the API, making accidentally scrobbling watched video files,
etc possible.

Is there a way to ignore software other than, say, Spotify, with
mpris-tools?

[1]: https://specifications.freedesktop.org/mpris-spec/latest/

--
Regards,
Timur Demin
Timur Demin <me@tdem.in> wrote:
> Is there a way to ignore software other than, say, Spotify, with
> mpris-tools?

Found it; mpris-scrobbler-config(5) specifies a way to ignore players.

--
Regards,
Timur Demin
On 21-07-09 20:50:00, Timur Demin wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 20:30:39 +0500
> Timur Demin <me@tdem.in> wrote:
> > Is there a way to ignore software other than, say, Spotify, with
> > mpris-tools?
>
> Found it; mpris-scrobbler-config(5) specifies a way to ignore players.

Hey Timur, thank you for your interest in mpris-scrobbler.

Yes, setting ignored players is the main way to achieve this, but
also scrobbles shouldn't be submitted as long as the criteria for a
valid song are not met: valid title, artist and album name.

From what I could see, most browsers that implement the MPRIS spec
can't populate all of these correctly, so a youtube video where the
browser sends just the title wouldn't qualify for scrobbling.

If you encountered some client that doesn't populate all of these but
the scrobbler still pushes the tracks, that's probably a bug and you
should give me some logs to look at and maybe fix it. :D

Cheers,
/Marius
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)