~mil/sxmo-devel

4 3

sxmo/swmo on Planet Computers Astro Slide?

<97472dca17aca55b124833279e576c76@nomadsgonewild.com>
DKIM signature
permerror
Hey,
thank you all for creating this dream come true distro!
I would love to be able to use it on the Planet Computers Astro Slide.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/astro-slide-5g-transformer#
It is basically a Pinephone pro.
That would enable me to utilize just one device for most all my needs.
It has features like decent cameras, an amoled display and yes also
a hardware keyboard and 8gb of ram.
It will also be a libhybris based linux experience but i am not all to
hopefull about Planet Computers developing more then a basic debian.
I hope that i am wrong.
They told me that they want to enable the linux community but that
they are focused on android.
Therefore i would love to lay before you a proposal :)
A certain lovley individual offerd to sponsor one Astro Slide for the
developers who would create a decent distro for it.
Yours is the best so here i am to ask :)
I think the offer shall be adressed to the core devs or to an individual
to be determined by the same.
There is only one device that may be sponsored this way.
More funds could potentially be raised by the community if more devices
would be required.
I would chip in some too.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/astro-slide-5g-transformer#/
<3F6BWCPT4XKLW.3F1F43C0CGORM@stacyharper.net>
In-Reply-To
<97472dca17aca55b124833279e576c76@nomadsgonewild.com> (view parent)
Hello dukfk,

Basically turning a device sxmo compatible is easy.

Postmarketos is the first place to dig. Some recipes should be done to
be able to boot a postmarket os inside the device.

Once thats done, sxmo will just be some additional packages to install.
Some minor compatibility lines of code will probably be needed to
handle this new device (device path, buttons ids, etc).
<20211010140236.GA29330@mail.hallyn.com>
In-Reply-To
<3F6BWCPT4XKLW.3F1F43C0CGORM@stacyharper.net> (view parent)
On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 09:44:03AM +0200, Stacy Harper wrote:
> Hello dukfk,
>
> Basically turning a device sxmo compatible is easy.
>
> Postmarketos is the first place to dig. Some recipes should be done to
> be able to boot a postmarket os inside the device.
>
> Once thats done, sxmo will just be some additional packages to install.
> Some minor compatibility lines of code will probably be needed to
> handle this new device (device path, buttons ids, etc).

And at least the cosmo communicator so far is listed at pmos as not
bootable, so it may be a bit of a challenge.  A fun challenge.
<CEVUTGZI2XFL.1P8SJ81JMGEVT@laptop>
In-Reply-To
<20211010140236.GA29330@mail.hallyn.com> (view parent)
On Sun Oct 10, 2021 at 5:02 PM MSK, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 09:44:03AM +0200, Stacy Harper wrote:
> > Hello dukfk,
> >
> > Basically turning a device sxmo compatible is easy.
> >
> > Postmarketos is the first place to dig. Some recipes should be done to
> > be able to boot a postmarket os inside the device.
> >
> > Once thats done, sxmo will just be some additional packages to install.
> > Some minor compatibility lines of code will probably be needed to
> > handle this new device (device path, buttons ids, etc).
>
> And at least the cosmo communicator so far is listed at pmos as not
> bootable, so it may be a bit of a challenge. A fun challenge.

The fact that board uses MTK SoC makes mainlining nearly impossible.

So the only thing I can suggest is using droidian, which is far better
than UBPorts, but still not perfect ofc. There was Halium support in
pmOS, and there was efforts to bring it back to a derivative called
`hybrisOS` after it was removed, but at the current state Halium is
unsupported at all.
<20211010162140.GA30758@mail.hallyn.com>
In-Reply-To
<CEVUTGZI2XFL.1P8SJ81JMGEVT@laptop> (view parent)
On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 07:06:05PM +0300, Maxim Karasev wrote:
> On Sun Oct 10, 2021 at 5:02 PM MSK, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 09:44:03AM +0200, Stacy Harper wrote:
> > > Hello dukfk,
> > >
> > > Basically turning a device sxmo compatible is easy.
> > >
> > > Postmarketos is the first place to dig. Some recipes should be done to
> > > be able to boot a postmarket os inside the device.
> > >
> > > Once thats done, sxmo will just be some additional packages to install.
> > > Some minor compatibility lines of code will probably be needed to
> > > handle this new device (device path, buttons ids, etc).
> >
> > And at least the cosmo communicator so far is listed at pmos as not
> > bootable, so it may be a bit of a challenge. A fun challenge.
>
> The fact that board uses MTK SoC makes mainlining nearly impossible.
>
> So the only thing I can suggest is using droidian, which is far better
> than UBPorts, but still not perfect ofc. There was Halium support in
> pmOS, and there was efforts to bring it back to a derivative called
> `hybrisOS` after it was removed, but at the current state Halium is
> unsupported at all.

Getting off topic here, but that's why i decided to go with fxtec
instead of a cosmo.  We'll see if it ever ships :)
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)