~mil/sxmo-devel

2 2

1.4.0 install report

<CAABW8J9EOVI.3ICI8GVVWA4TJ@taiga>
I have found the new release to be much improved, nice work everyone!

Some things which worked fairly painlessly:

- Incoming and outgoing SMS
- Incoming and outgoing phone calls
- Wifi and LTE setup
- The new on-screen keyboard
- Gestures
- Camera
- Bluetooth
- Various things besides

Some issues I encountered were:

- If I send an SMS message while in CRUST, the phone wakes up but the
  message is silently dropped.
- Vibration does not work
- The `-v` flag suggested in the sample xinit for "clickclack" does not
  exist, and causes the keyboard to be broken if enabled.

I'm also not a fan of the sound effect which plays on login by default,
that probably should be disabled by default.

On the subject of defaults: some kind of audible ringtone would be nice
to have by default. It's quite important to avoid missing phone calls
and messages (especially when vibration doesn't work!), and getting it
to come out of the correct speaker at the appropriate volume may be a
steep order for the user to configure themselves.

Overall I continue to be impressed with sxmo. It's quite close to the
point where I would feel comfortable replacing my daily driver with it.
The main remainng concerns are worries that I'll end up missing calls or
messages, and the lack of MMS. I also still need to evaluate the battery
performance while under CRUST, but I imagine that has little to do with
sxmo.

Keep up the great work! Sxmo is quickly shaping up to be the most
practical and complete GNU/Linux mobile interface available.
<20210330030043.GA4398@mail.hallyn.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAABW8J9EOVI.3ICI8GVVWA4TJ@taiga> (view parent)
On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:26:28PM -0400, Drew DeVault wrote:
> I have found the new release to be much improved, nice work everyone!
>
> Some things which worked fairly painlessly:
>
> - Incoming and outgoing SMS
> - Incoming and outgoing phone calls
> - Wifi and LTE setup
> - The new on-screen keyboard
> - Gestures
> - Camera
> - Bluetooth
> - Various things besides
>
> Some issues I encountered were:
>
> - If I send an SMS message while in CRUST, the phone wakes up but the
>   message is silently dropped.

That's what has always happened to me.  I was starting to think it might
just be a hardware bug in my rather old braveheart edition.  I don't
suppose your phone is a braveheart?

-serge
<CAAO2TV8KVRP.31LWVQRV6PDAE@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<20210330030043.GA4398@mail.hallyn.com> (view parent)
On Mon Mar 29, 2021 at 11:00 PM EDT, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> That's what has always happened to me. I was starting to think it might
> just be a hardware bug in my rather old braveheart edition. I don't
> suppose your phone is a braveheart?

Nah, ubports edition.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)