~mpu/qbe

1

Any interest in SIMD types?

<CAKF5_T=xVWAmo45ifoG1OA+0fn+z2OG27aNRUvK7TPmsnCEXpw@mail.gmail.com>
Hello,

Would there be any interest in adding SIMD types? Would a patch
implementing SIMD types (e.g. for AVX2) be accepted, or is that not a
design goal right now?

Thanks,
Harris Snyder
<a8cc2aff-98fa-4100-b66e-e2a106e7a134@app.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAKF5_T=xVWAmo45ifoG1OA+0fn+z2OG27aNRUvK7TPmsnCEXpw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Tue, Oct 4, 2022, at 22:11, Harris Snyder wrote:
> Would there be any interest in adding SIMD types?

Hi Harris,

Thanks for your message to the list. The general trend lately
in qbe has been to "broaden" the surface, with new archs
supported (apple hardware) and new IL capabilities (thread
local variables). I would now like us to revert to improving
the core compilation algorithms. Adding SIMD types is not
really aligned with that and may well complicate things.

Additionally, I am under the impression that SIMD types are
not uniform enough across platforms to warrant a place in
the IL. I may be proved wrong here, though.

For the above reasons, I am not presently interested in
supoorting SIMD types.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)