~ols/public-inbox

2 2

A URL shortener with an interesting storage backend

<85396088-92ed-4370-bc50-fb2aac599605@www.fastmail.com>
Hey Oliver,

Thanks for sharing this project, it's relatively simple and I could see some use cases for personal "home lab" stuff, although it'd be cool to see how far this could be taken in production just for the hell of it (lol).

Have you thought about using the Go program as a CGI script? Then httpd (for example) would handle the requests and the program would do the DNS lookup, etc. I am just not sure how well the redirect would work.

Best,
Rafael
<CBGCD3ASELNC.6C6GDYLX77BH@SBGML01560>
In-Reply-To
<85396088-92ed-4370-bc50-fb2aac599605@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
On Mon May 17, 2021 at 11:27 PM BST, Rafael Possamai wrote:
> Hey Oliver,
>
> Thanks for sharing this project, it's relatively simple and I could see
> some use cases for personal "home lab" stuff, although it'd be cool to
> see how far this could be taken in production just for the hell of it
> (lol).

Thanks, it's very much a proof of concept sure, I wouldn't want it
anywhere near production!

> Have you thought about using the Go program as a CGI script? Then httpd
> (for example) would handle the requests and the program would do the DNS
> lookup, etc. I am just not sure how well the redirect would work.

You are not the first to suggest running Go programmes as CGI scripts.
It is something I will look into at some point, but my current way of
working uses relayd as a reverse proxy which works absolutely fine.

All the best

ols

--
Oliver Leaver-Smith
TZ=Europe/London
>You are not the first to suggest running Go programmes as CGI scripts.
>It is something I will look into at some point, but my current way of
>working uses relayd as a reverse proxy which works absolutely fine.

I guess I totally blanked about relayd (and that you use it in your OrGY stack). I think in this case there's very little to gain with CGI since relayd would be "in front" of the Go program.

Cheers!
Rafael
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)