~petercxy/shelter

2 2

TrackerControl + Shelter

Max
<1714076830.20210128014207@maxwolf.ru>
Hello everyone!

May I ask your help regarding simultaneous use of Shelter together
with TrackerControl
( https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.kollnig.missioncontrol.fdroid/ )?

I have installed both of them and then installed Whatsapp into the
Shelter. Having that setup I do not see Whatsapp application in
TrackerControl at all. AFAIU TrackerControl setup some local virtual
VPN service to pass all the network traffic through and to control it.
Could you please clarify is such a VPN is shared between main and work
profiles or both of them have a separate one? Should I use then "split
install" of TrackerControl (i.e. install separate copy of
TrackerControl (with apparent separate virtual VPN) under the
Shelter-controlled profile) in order to control traffic of "sheltered"
applications? Did anyone try that? If such an installation (splitted)
of TrackerControl is possible and safe in terms of overall stability
of Android system?

Thank you in advance!

--
Best regards,
Max

Max <shelter@maxwolf.ru> hat am 27.01.2021 23:42 geschrieben:
> May I ask your help regarding simultaneous use of Shelter together
> with TrackerControl
> ( https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.kollnig.missioncontrol.fdroid/ )?
>
> I have installed both of them and then installed Whatsapp into the
> Shelter. Having that setup I do not see Whatsapp application in
> TrackerControl at all. AFAIU TrackerControl setup some local virtual
> VPN service to pass all the network traffic through and to control it.
> Could you please clarify is such a VPN is shared between main and work
> profiles or both of them have a separate one?

I tried the same thing with NetGuard a while ago. The VPN is not shared
between normal profile/Shelter profile. If you have VPNs in both profiles,
only one of the VPNs will be properly active at a time, and it depends on
luck which VPN will be active (Android 9).

In the end, you likely need to decide between VPNs and Shelter.

hth

Stefan
<0c6fcc302b8d96de2752b3a501988043@typeblog.net>
In-Reply-To
<240081087.80832.1612261516686@office.mailbox.org> (view parent)
Hello,

I am pretty sure VPNs are separate in profiles since Android 10. Before
that, I think they were shared between all profiles, but I could be
wrong.

On 2021-02-02 18:25, sknorr.os@mailbox.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Max <shelter@maxwolf.ru> hat am 27.01.2021 23:42 geschrieben:
>> May I ask your help regarding simultaneous use of Shelter together
>> with TrackerControl
>> ( https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.kollnig.missioncontrol.fdroid/
>> )?
>>
>> I have installed both of them and then installed Whatsapp into the
>> Shelter. Having that setup I do not see Whatsapp application in
>> TrackerControl at all. AFAIU TrackerControl setup some local virtual
>> VPN service to pass all the network traffic through and to control it.
>> Could you please clarify is such a VPN is shared between main and work
>> profiles or both of them have a separate one?
>
> I tried the same thing with NetGuard a while ago. The VPN is not shared
> between normal profile/Shelter profile. If you have VPNs in both
> profiles,
> only one of the VPNs will be properly active at a time, and it depends
> on
> luck which VPN will be active (Android 9).
>
> In the end, you likely need to decide between VPNs and Shelter.
>
> hth
>
> Stefan
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)