~petercxy/shelter

5 3

Bug - Widget App is not displayed in shelter under personal profile

Heiko Hanusch
<C3009C2B-CFD7-4835-B60B-41233BE65B0B@gmail.com>

Firsrt, I hope I did everything correctly with my Email app. Never used a mailing list before. Generation WA greets :D.

I am a user. I am using shelter in German, so excuse me if my terms are not the exact terms of the shelter English version.

My issue is as follows:
I am a heavy RSS reader. Since the beginnings I have used an app called "RSS widget". It is old but I love it. It is only a widget, no app icon as an usual app. You can just create widgets and from there do all the adjustments for the individual widget.
I love shelter because on my old LG G7 Thinq  stock LG Android 10 could clone the RSS eidget app and tick the option "allow widgets in personal profile". That was one of the main reasons I prefer shelter over insular. Insular does not provide thins function.

However, I bought a new phone recently. It is a Samsung galaxy s9 Enxynos edition. I installed the latest crDroid 7.2 ~ Android 11. There the RSS widget app is not shown in the shelter interface under personal profile. Therefore, I am not able to clone it and tick "allow widgets in personal profile". I have tried: installing appstore in shelter and installing the widget app from there as well as installing the widget app via the direct apk install option of shelter. Both methods resulted in the app shown under "settings  --> apps --> workprofile". However, it is still not displayed in shelter, neither under personal nor work profile.
I tried insular instead. There the RSS widget app is shown and I can clone it. However, as stated above I cannot use insular for my use-case.

I hope someone can help me here to figure out why the Widget App is not shown in the shelter iinterface.
Btw, the RSS widget app is installed as usual under /data/data/. Figured this out with TRWP.

Thank you in advance and a nice day everyone.
<8aa2fcb6367c339eab98bf4ae247eb20@typeblog.net>
In-Reply-To
<C3009C2B-CFD7-4835-B60B-41233BE65B0B@gmail.com> (view parent)
Hello,

Have you tried clicking "Show all apps" in Shelter's menu?

On 2021-04-01 15:16, Heiko Hanusch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firsrt, I hope I did everything correctly with my Email app. Never
> used a mailing list before. Generation WA greets :D.
>
> I am a user. I am using shelter in German, so excuse me if my terms
> are not the exact terms of the shelter English version.
>
> My issue is as follows:
> I am a heavy RSS reader. Since the beginnings I have used an app
> called "RSS widget". It is old but I love it. It is only a widget, no
> app icon as an usual app. You can just create widgets and from there
> do all the adjustments for the individual widget.
> I love shelter because on my old LG G7 Thinq  stock LG Android 10
> could clone the RSS eidget app and tick the option "allow widgets in
> personal profile". That was one of the main reasons I prefer shelter
> over insular. Insular does not provide thins function.
>
> However, I bought a new phone recently. It is a Samsung galaxy s9
> Enxynos edition. I installed the latest crDroid 7.2 ~ Android 11.
> There the RSS widget app is not shown in the shelter interface under
> personal profile. Therefore, I am not able to clone it and tick "allow
> widgets in personal profile". I have tried: installing appstore in
> shelter and installing the widget app from there as well as installing
> the widget app via the direct apk install option of shelter. Both
> methods resulted in the app shown under "settings  --> apps -->
> workprofile". However, it is still not displayed in shelter, neither
> under personal nor work profile.
> I tried insular instead. There the RSS widget app is shown and I can
> clone it. However, as stated above I cannot use insular for my
> use-case.
>
> I hope someone can help me here to figure out why the Widget App is
> not shown in the shelter iinterface.
> Btw, the RSS widget app is installed as usual under /data/data/.
> Figured this out with TRWP.
>
> Thank you in advance and a nice day everyone.
Heiko Hanusch
<B070A881-DAB4-4B2E-B9D3-239B8870D171@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<8aa2fcb6367c339eab98bf4ae247eb20@typeblog.net> (view parent)
Again - with maillist in CC

I forgot to mention. I tried "show all apps" multiple times but it is not there. It is really strange that the app is shown on my LG phone in shelter as well as insular and on my Galaxy s9 in insular but not on my s9 in shelter.

Am 1. April 2021 10:15:54 MESZ schrieb peter@typeblog.net:
>Hello,
>
>Have you tried clicking "Show all apps" in Shelter's menu?
>
>On 2021-04-01 15:16, Heiko Hanusch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Firsrt, I hope I did everything correctly with my Email app. Never
>> used a mailing list before. Generation WA greets :D.
>>
>> I am a user. I am using shelter in German, so excuse me if my terms
>> are not the exact terms of the shelter English version.
>>
>> My issue is as follows:
>> I am a heavy RSS reader. Since the beginnings I have used an app
>> called "RSS widget". It is old but I love it. It is only a widget, no
>> app icon as an usual app. You can just create widgets and from there
>> do all the adjustments for the individual widget.
>> I love shelter because on my old LG G7 Thinq  stock LG Android 10
>> could clone the RSS eidget app and tick the option "allow widgets in
>> personal profile". That was one of the main reasons I prefer shelter
>> over insular. Insular does not provide thins function.
>>
>> However, I bought a new phone recently. It is a Samsung galaxy s9
>> Enxynos edition. I installed the latest crDroid 7.2 ~ Android 11.
>> There the RSS widget app is not shown in the shelter interface under
>> personal profile. Therefore, I am not able to clone it and tick
>"allow
>> widgets in personal profile". I have tried: installing appstore in
>> shelter and installing the widget app from there as well as
>installing
>> the widget app via the direct apk install option of shelter. Both
>> methods resulted in the app shown under "settings  --> apps -->
>> workprofile". However, it is still not displayed in shelter, neither
>> under personal nor work profile.
>> I tried insular instead. There the RSS widget app is shown and I can
>> clone it. However, as stated above I cannot use insular for my
>> use-case.
>>
>> I hope someone can help me here to figure out why the Widget App is
>> not shown in the shelter iinterface.
>> Btw, the RSS widget app is installed as usual under /data/data/.
>> Figured this out with TRWP.
>>
>> Thank you in advance and a nice day everyone.
<087A757B-E213-4B26-9937-12625FBFD09F@typeblog.net>
In-Reply-To
<B070A881-DAB4-4B2E-B9D3-239B8870D171@gmail.com> (view parent)
I'm sorry but I am really not sure what exactly is happening here, especially if even "show all apps" doesn't work.... I could only assume that the system is not responding to app list queries correctly. But again, it's showing in Insular...

On April 1, 2021 9:38:26 PM GMT+08:00, Heiko Hanusch <hanusch.heiko@gmail.com> wrote:
>Again - with maillist in CC
>
>I forgot to mention. I tried "show all apps" multiple times but it is not there. It is really strange that the app is shown on my LG phone in shelter as well as insular and on my Galaxy s9 in insular but not on my s9 in shelter.
>
>Am 1. April 2021 10:15:54 MESZ schrieb peter@typeblog.net:
>>Hello,
>>
>>Have you tried clicking "Show all apps" in Shelter's menu?
>>
>>On 2021-04-01 15:16, Heiko Hanusch wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Firsrt, I hope I did everything correctly with my Email app. Never
>>> used a mailing list before. Generation WA greets :D.
>>>
>>> I am a user. I am using shelter in German, so excuse me if my terms
>>> are not the exact terms of the shelter English version.
>>>
>>> My issue is as follows:
>>> I am a heavy RSS reader. Since the beginnings I have used an app
>>> called "RSS widget". It is old but I love it. It is only a widget, no
>>> app icon as an usual app. You can just create widgets and from there
>>> do all the adjustments for the individual widget.
>>> I love shelter because on my old LG G7 Thinq  stock LG Android 10
>>> could clone the RSS eidget app and tick the option "allow widgets in
>>> personal profile". That was one of the main reasons I prefer shelter
>>> over insular. Insular does not provide thins function.
>>>
>>> However, I bought a new phone recently. It is a Samsung galaxy s9
>>> Enxynos edition. I installed the latest crDroid 7.2 ~ Android 11.
>>> There the RSS widget app is not shown in the shelter interface under
>>> personal profile. Therefore, I am not able to clone it and tick
>>"allow
>>> widgets in personal profile". I have tried: installing appstore in
>>> shelter and installing the widget app from there as well as
>>installing
>>> the widget app via the direct apk install option of shelter. Both
>>> methods resulted in the app shown under "settings  --> apps -->
>>> workprofile". However, it is still not displayed in shelter, neither
>>> under personal nor work profile.
>>> I tried insular instead. There the RSS widget app is shown and I can
>>> clone it. However, as stated above I cannot use insular for my
>>> use-case.
>>>
>>> I hope someone can help me here to figure out why the Widget App is
>>> not shown in the shelter iinterface.
>>> Btw, the RSS widget app is installed as usual under /data/data/.
>>> Figured this out with TRWP.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance and a nice day everyone.
Heiko Hanusch
<6D9FD052-26CB-4FDE-BE28-7CB2444DCA1D@gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<087A757B-E213-4B26-9937-12625FBFD09F@typeblog.net> (view parent)
No problem.
I tried it with web widget another pure widget app. The same bevaviour there. So it just does not work with pure widget apps. Maybe insular usees another parameter?
This is out of topic but is there an easy way to create an UI icon for the widget app. Then I could manipulate the code so it creates an empty icon like a "normal" app. Maybe then it is shown.

Am 1. April 2021 15:47:53 MESZ schrieb Peter Cai <peter@typeblog.net>:
>I'm sorry but I am really not sure what exactly is happening here,
>especially if even "show all apps" doesn't work.... I could only assume
>that the system is not responding to app list queries correctly. But
>again, it's showing in Insular...
>
>On April 1, 2021 9:38:26 PM GMT+08:00, Heiko Hanusch
><hanusch.heiko@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Again - with maillist in CC
>>
>>I forgot to mention. I tried "show all apps" multiple times but it is
>not there. It is really strange that the app is shown on my LG phone in
>shelter as well as insular and on my Galaxy s9 in insular but not on my
>s9 in shelter.
>>
>>Am 1. April 2021 10:15:54 MESZ schrieb peter@typeblog.net:
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Have you tried clicking "Show all apps" in Shelter's menu?

>no
>there
>in
>shelter

>under
>>>"allow
>>>installing
>neither
>can

<DD3926F4-83B7-471D-A558-A9E9C24EB459@typeblog.net>
In-Reply-To
<6D9FD052-26CB-4FDE-BE28-7CB2444DCA1D@gmail.com> (view parent)
> So it just does not work with pure widget apps.

Hm, it might be related to Android 11's query limitations then. But I'm pretty sure I've worked around the issue... I'll try to take a look later.

Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)