~petercxy/shelter

On recent reports about Shelter being classified as "virus" or "malicious"

<b50698fa44189106bb5cd6a69ab274ed@typeblog.net>
Hello,

I have been bombarded recently with email inquiries about Shelter being
reported as virus or malicious software, predominantly by Huawei's
anti-virus system, and Norton. I am hereby writing to clarify that:

1. Shelter is NOT virus or malicious software
2. Shelter is fully Free and Open Source software, and will remain so
forever
3. As a result of (2), if you have any doubt about Shelter's behavior,
please verify the source code of Shelter yourself. Alternatively, you
can also use the build from F-Droid, which is guarateed to be
reproducible from the same source code tarball downloaded from F-Droid.
4. (Disclaimer: this is purely personal opinion and not proven to be
true.
  I shall not be held responsible for any consequence of either following
or not following my opinion.) Personally, I do NOT recommend using any
sort of "anti-virus" software on your mobile phone or even your PC,
especially if you are privacy-sensitive. Such pieces of software are
often completely proprietary and make active use of some known exploits
of the system to gain privilege in order to perform their "security
measures", which adds a tremendous attack surface, even if these
software themselves are not trying to compromise your privacy. They are
FAR from a wise choice from a security perspective.

This acts as a catch-all response to all inquiries about Shelter's
potential "maliciousness". You will NOT receive a separate response if
you send me a new individual inquiry.

Regards.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)