~petrus/mailctl-discuss

5 2

test

Peter Dobsan <pdobsan@gmail.com>
<20230310203559.7z3nifae3v76ejzo@localhost>
This is just testing whether subscribing to the list is necessary for
posting from the outside. Since it is my list I am not sure how this
works from the outside. :-)

First attempt without subscription.
Let's see it!
<20230310211345.rl6rerqpdhnqfpyc@localhost>
In-Reply-To
<20230310203559.7z3nifae3v76ejzo@localhost> (view parent)
On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 09:35:59PM +0100, Peter Dobsan wrote:
> First attempt without subscription.

Okay, that's come through.
Now let's see if I get this reply after subscription.
<20230310212229.dxufqhfaqd3iqvz4@localhost>
In-Reply-To
<20230310211345.rl6rerqpdhnqfpyc@localhost> (view parent)
On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 10:13:45PM +0100, Petrus wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 09:35:59PM +0100, Peter Dobsan wrote:
> > First attempt without subscription.
>
> Okay, that's come through.
> Now let's see if I get this reply after subscription.

Not really, as subscriber I got it as mailing list owner did not. :-( ?
<CR30XKOIBIP1.2M1U63VIN6VYX@mashenka>
In-Reply-To
<20230310212229.dxufqhfaqd3iqvz4@localhost> (view parent)
On Fri Mar 10, 2023 at 22:22, Petrus wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 10:13:45PM +0100, Petrus wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 09:35:59PM +0100, Peter Dobsan wrote:
> > > First attempt without subscription.
> >
> > Okay, that's come through.
> > Now let's see if I get this reply after subscription.
>
> Not really, as subscriber I got it as mailing list owner did not. :-( ?

I'm not sure about what exactly you are testing, but I got all three emails,
and I think if you are not subscribed, you can write, but people need to reply
directly to you as well and not just to the list?

--
+36305425054
bence.ferdinandy.com

> I'm not sure about what exactly you are testing, but I got all three emails,

That is good and expected.

> and I think if you are not subscribed, you can write, but people need to reply
> directly to you as well and not just to the list?

Yes, I think so. Unfortunately people including myself tend to forget
about group reply. So I am about to invite the other microsoft victims
to subscribe before I post about what we learned about the microshit
API.

Now what I am still confused about this mailing list is that I expected
to get the second mail twice (as owner and as subscriber with a
different email). How did the list server know that I am the same
person, some GPT superpower ;-)?

By the way I am as the owner of the list had to explicitly subscribe to
my own list internally to receive mail sent to me. Good I noticed in
time. Still learning sourcehut.

Anyway, I prefer communicating by email, instead of the fancy ever
changing GUI-s. The other very good thing about sourcehut is that one
can ssh into the CI process' virtual machine and fix things on the fly
and work out the building details experimentally instead of the
countless commits to trigger yet another CI loop.

The sourcehut documentation (and the minimal spartan web interface), on
the other hand, is very much lacking yet ("alpha phase"). An unnavigable
spaghetti network of links with content which is clear only if you
already know and understand what is there. Most of the wiki style docs
tend to evolve into this state.

We'll see, the jury is still out.
(I hope they are reading that ;-), it is public after all)
<CR3TKIRWRIKA.2TE2TDZKZDMO1@mashenka>
In-Reply-To
<20230310223411.kz6z4mg43wk5umyn@localhost> (view parent)
On Fri Mar 10, 2023 at 23:34, Petrus wrote:
> Bence, I am glad you are here as a subscriber, just wanted to invite you
> since there seems to be some development on microsoft front. I suppose
> you are following.

I subbed when I first saw you moving :)

> > I'm not sure about what exactly you are testing, but I got all three emails,
>
> That is good and expected.
>
> > and I think if you are not subscribed, you can write, but people need to reply
> > directly to you as well and not just to the list?
>
> Yes, I think so. Unfortunately people including myself tend to forget
> about group reply. So I am about to invite the other microsoft victims
> to subscribe before I post about what we learned about the microshit
> API.

Cool, would really great to figure that out!

> Now what I am still confused about this mailing list is that I expected
> to get the second mail twice (as owner and as subscriber with a
> different email). How did the list server know that I am the same
> person, some GPT superpower ;-)?
>
> By the way I am as the owner of the list had to explicitly subscribe to
> my own list internally to receive mail sent to me. Good I noticed in
> time. Still learning sourcehut.

I guess that would make sense if you are stepping back from a project, but
don't want to kill it, but yeah, not something I would expect as a default ...

> Anyway, I prefer communicating by email, instead of the fancy ever
> changing GUI-s. The other very good thing about sourcehut is that one
> can ssh into the CI process' virtual machine and fix things on the fly
> and work out the building details experimentally instead of the
> countless commits to trigger yet another CI loop.

Didn't know about that one, but that's cool!

> The sourcehut documentation (and the minimal spartan web interface), on
> the other hand, is very much lacking yet ("alpha phase"). An unnavigable
> spaghetti network of links with content which is clear only if you
> already know and understand what is there. Most of the wiki style docs
> tend to evolve into this state.

I've been on sourcehut for I think around 6 months now, not as a project owner,
just as a contributor and I'm really glad I learned about git-send-email and
the whole process of working like that, I've come to prefer it also over the
fork, PR, merge & issues that is github, but I still always get lost when
trying to say go from a project's wiki to it's tickets on the webinterface :D
So I totally feel you there :)

> We'll see, the jury is still out.
> (I hope they are reading that ;-), it is public after all)

:D

Best,
Bence

--