~protesilaos/denote

4 2

elpa package gone missing?

<9d600ff0-4fed-2ad7-5dbc-5a194639a045@gmail.com>
Hello Prot,

thanks for creating `denote'. If I understood the manual correctly, then
version 0.1.0 should be available on GNU ELPA. Unfortunately, it seems
to be offline/removed, see [1]. The GNU elpa-devel variant is still
there ([2]).

Was version 0.1.0 removed/not published on GNU ELPA on purpose, or was
there some kind of GNU ELPA hiccup?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
   Benjamin

  [1]: https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/denote.html (leads to 404)
  [2]: https://elpa.gnu.org/devel/denote.html
<87k08uwhwv.fsf@protesilaos.com>
In-Reply-To
<9d600ff0-4fed-2ad7-5dbc-5a194639a045@gmail.com> (view parent)
> From: "Benjamin Kästner" <benjamin.kaestner@googlemail.com>
> Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 13:13:57 +0200
>
> Hello Prot,

Hello Benjamin,

> thanks for creating `denote'. If I understood the manual correctly, then
> version 0.1.0 should be available on GNU ELPA. Unfortunately, it seems
> to be offline/removed, see [1]. The GNU elpa-devel variant is still
> there ([2]).
>
> Was version 0.1.0 removed/not published on GNU ELPA on purpose, or was
> there some kind of GNU ELPA hiccup?

You understood correctly.  The problem is as follows:

* GNU ELPA reads the "Version:" header from the main file (denote.el).
  It then creates a package based on it.  (It does not read the git
  tag.)

* As "Version: 0.1.0" was in place since the first commit, GNU ELPA
  thinks it is the one that should be used.

* Because I did not update the Copyright header to name the FSF, the GNU
  ELPA machinery does not create the package.

* The devel version works because the metadata is correct now (and has
  been for a long time, though not at the time of the very first commit).

* I found out about this problem 2 days ago.  I wanted to update to
  version 0.1.1 just to trigger a rebuild, but I couldn't.  I need to
  change the "Version:" header.  But if I do this now, I will inevitably
  include more stuff in the package than just trigger a rebuild of what
  ought to be 0.1.0.  This is because the development has since
  continued.

I thus kindly ask to wait a few more days while I prepare version 0.2.0.
I want to document all the changes and make sure everything is in order.
I think it is realistic to expect the new version until Wednesday.

All the best,
Prot

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com
> You understood correctly.  The problem is as follows: [...]

Thanks for the in-depth analysis, very much appreciated!

> I thus kindly ask to wait a few more days while I prepare version 0.2.0.

I will wait, thanks for the heads-up. Please take your time.

Best regards,
   Benjamin
<87a69o1b7k.fsf@protesilaos.com>
In-Reply-To
<db100676-8f7f-0ee2-8100-c967db2bf209@googlemail.com> (view parent)
> From: Benjamin Kästner <benjamin.kaestner@googlemail.com>
> Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 13:42:09 +0200
>
>> You understood correctly.  The problem is as follows: [...]
>
> Thanks for the in-depth analysis, very much appreciated!
>
>> I thus kindly ask to wait a few more days while I prepare version 0.2.0.
>
> I will wait, thanks for the heads-up. Please take your time.

Hello again Benjamin,

The package is now available on GNU ELPA: <https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/denote.html>.

Thank you for your patience!

All the best,
Prot

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com
> The package is now available on GNU ELPA: <https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/denote.html>.

Thank you for the message, very appreciated!

> Thank you for your patience!

Thank you for the package, and especially its well-written
documentation! I'm currently reading the manual and can already see how
denote will improve my note taking efforts by a lot.

All the best,
   Benjamin
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)