~protesilaos/modus-themes

6 2

Completions are very pink

<2cb3790c-b7b0-1a54-9182-434ea66fd703@johnhaman.org>
Wondering if I can change the pink-on-grey look that I'm getting from
the completions popup in Company. One example is attached.

I think maybe blue-on-gray would look quite fetching. My setup:

    (setq modus-themes-completions
     '((matches . (background))
       (selection . nil)
       (popup . nil)))

Thanks!
<87h73j7xyf.fsf@protesilaos.com>
In-Reply-To
<2cb3790c-b7b0-1a54-9182-434ea66fd703@johnhaman.org> (view parent)
> From: John Haman <mail@johnhaman.org>
> Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 22:16:14 -0400

Hello John,

> Wondering if I can change the pink-on-grey look that I'm getting from
> the completions popup in Company. One example is attached.

I agree this is not an ideal situation.  In general, grey in such a
tight space is an awkward background for our purposes.

You can change this on your own, though I think we should consider
implementing the change at the theme level.

> I think maybe blue-on-gray would look quite fetching.

I agree.  I think blue is the optimal choice here.  Red would be even
more visible, but maybe users will find it too aggressive and
distracting (it pops out more and may thus feel overwhelming).

Let me experiment a bit and I will report back to you.

All the best,
Protesilaos (or simply "Prot")

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com
> From: Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com>
> Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 08:21:28 +0300
>
> You can change this on your own, though I think we should consider
> implementing the change at the theme level.
>
>> I think maybe blue-on-gray would look quite fetching.
>
> I agree.  I think blue is the optimal choice here.  Red would be even
> more visible, but maybe users will find it too aggressive and
> distracting (it pops out more and may thus feel overwhelming).
>
> Let me experiment a bit and I will report back to you.

I checked.  Blue cannot be implemented at the theme level with a simple
change.  Selections are blue, given certain settings.  There all lots of
factors and UIs to considered.

It would then have to be a user-level change.  Like this:

    (defun my-modus-themes-custom-faces ()
      (modus-themes-with-colors
        (custom-set-faces
         `(modus-themes-completion-match-0
           ((,class ,@(modus-themes--completion-match
                       'matches blue-nuanced-bg blue blue-subtle-bg blue-intense)))))))

    (add-hook 'modus-themes-after-load-theme-hook #'my-modus-themes-custom-faces)

If you want to try the red, simply query-replace blue ==> red.

Note that this change applies to all completion UIs.  If you want to
keep it limited to Company, replace 'modus-themes-completion-match-0'
with 'company-echo-common'.

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com

My only issue is that when I apply this hook, I find that background
colors are not "normalized" in child frames. I am using Company-Box.

I attach a picture that describes the issue. You can see that Company
box backgrounds vary between white and gray.

If you don't support Company-Box, I'll understand if this is out of scope.

Thanks!

John

PS- sorry for letting this sit in my email for a month!

--
Dr. John Haman
Bethesda, MD
> From: John Haman <mail@johnhaman.org>
> Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 11:54:57 -0400
>
> Prot, this is a great idea. Thanks much.

You are welcome!

> My only issue is that when I apply this hook, I find that background
> colors are not "normalized" in child frames. I am using Company-Box.

I remember there being an old issue with company-box.  From July last
year:

* https://github.com/sebastiencs/company-box/issues/148
* https://github.com/sebastiencs/company-box/pull/172

> I attach a picture that describes the issue. You can see that Company
> box backgrounds vary between white and gray.
>
> If you don't support Company-Box, I'll understand if this is out of scope.

The themes do support company-box.  Though we had a similar issue with
centaur-tabs, so I removed it until further notice.  In this case
though, the bug is specific to theme switching, whereas with
centaur-tabs is was an ever-present bug.

Perhaps if you can try contacting the company-box maintainer?  I am
happy to help, though this is beyond my control.

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com

-John

On 8/13/22 3:31 PM, Protesilaos Stavrou wrote:
>> From: John Haman <mail@johnhaman.org>
>> Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 11:54:57 -0400
>>
>> Prot, this is a great idea. Thanks much.
> You are welcome!
>
>> My only issue is that when I apply this hook, I find that background
>> colors are not "normalized" in child frames. I am using Company-Box.
> I remember there being an old issue with company-box.  From July last
> year:
>
> * https://github.com/sebastiencs/company-box/issues/148
> * https://github.com/sebastiencs/company-box/pull/172
>
>> I attach a picture that describes the issue. You can see that Company
>> box backgrounds vary between white and gray.
>>
>> If you don't support Company-Box, I'll understand if this is out of scope.
> The themes do support company-box.  Though we had a similar issue with
> centaur-tabs, so I removed it until further notice.  In this case
> though, the bug is specific to theme switching, whereas with
> centaur-tabs is was an ever-present bug.
>
> Perhaps if you can try contacting the company-box maintainer?  I am
> happy to help, though this is beyond my control.

--
Dr. John Haman
Bethesda, MD
<875yivlwo2.fsf@protesilaos.com>
In-Reply-To
<e77e3a77-a031-d3c2-1732-cfff0b58e555@johnhaman.org> (view parent)
> From: John Haman <mail@johnhaman.org>
> Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 16:17:40 -0400
>
> Thanks Prot, I bumped the PR you linked. We'll see if the maintainer
> jumps in.

Very well!  Let's hope for the best.

--
Protesilaos Stavrou