~protesilaos/modus-themes

4 2

Support Iwindow?

<87pm2df1wt.fsf@disroot.org>
Will you support my Iwindow package in your Modus themes?

Its faces are perfect for Linux console, but horrible for graphical
Emacs.  I should have asked you earlier, but I forgot.

[  I installed Iwindow on a Emacs config without my personal face
   customizations.  I did C-x o (iwindow-select) (~15 minutes ago as of
   writing this), and I was doomed!  I knew it was uncomfortable before,
   but didn't know it'll be so much.  My eyes still hurt as of writing
   this.  ]

'iwindow-highlight-default' and 'iwindow-highlight-fringe' replaces
'default' and 'fringe' faces respectively on highlight windows.  These
two faces must be customized, even healthy people will become sick if
these are left as is.

'iwindow-minibuffer-keys-face' is face of the mode line text shown on
highlighted windows, defaults to bold.

FYI, my configuration customizes 'iwindow-highlight-default' to 'bg-dim'
background.

--
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: akib@hostux.social
> From: Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org>
> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:46:10 +0600
>
> Will you support my Iwindow package in your Modus themes?
>
> [... 20 lines elided]

Yes, sure!  Though it may be better for everyone if we just modify the
default value of the faces you have defined.  Does a patch work for you?
If so, please find it attached.

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com
Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

>> From: Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org>
>> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:46:10 +0600
>>
>> Will you support my Iwindow package in your Modus themes?
>>
>> [... 20 lines elided]
>
> Yes, sure!

Thanks!  :D

>             Though it may be better for everyone if we just modify the
> default value of the faces you have defined.

Exactly.

>                                               Does a patch work for you?
> If so, please find it attached.

Sure!

[...]

> -(defface iwindow-highlight-default '((t :background "blue"))
> +(defface iwindow-highlight-default
> +  '((((class color) (min-colors 88) (background light))
> +     :background "gray85")
> +    (((class color) (min-colors 88) (background dark))
> +     :background "gray15")

It's almost perfect!  (If not completely.)

> +    (t :background "gray"))

This breaks on Linux console, which has only eight color.  TBH, using
any color there actually breaks it, but using gray breaks it even more
since the text color is itself gray.

Do you think its makes sense to highlight the whole window in such
limited displays?  How about remapping the mode-line face in those
cases?  Then the highlightion won't be so chaotic.

>    "`default' face for highlighted windows.")

[...]

--
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: akib@hostux.social
Codeberg: akib
emailselfdefense.fsf.org | "Nothing can be secure without encryption."
<877cokd96t.fsf@protesilaos.com>
In-Reply-To
<87pm2cg7x8.fsf@disroot.org> (view parent)
> From: Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org>
> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 21:50:59 +0600
>
> Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:
>
>>> From: Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org>
>>> Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 18:46:10 +0600
>>>
>>> Will you support my Iwindow package in your Modus themes?
>>>
>>> [... 20 lines elided]
>>
>> Yes, sure!
>
> Thanks!  :D

You are welcome!

> [... 22 lines elided]

>> +    (t :background "gray"))
>
> This breaks on Linux console, which has only eight color.  TBH, using
> any color there actually breaks it, but using gray breaks it even more
> since the text color is itself gray.

Ah yes, this is the problem!  I thought about using ':inverse-video t'
though that will be too intense.  Same for all colours you can use.
Tough choice.

> Do you think its makes sense to highlight the whole window in such
> limited displays?  How about remapping the mode-line face in those
> cases?  Then the highlightion won't be so chaotic.

I think this is a better approach in this case.  Adding any colour to
the mode line should be fine.  This includes the :inverse-video effect.

Another option is to change the style of the numbers shown on the mode
line.  You can make the face you now have ':inherit error' or, if you
want it to be more noticeable, ':inverse-video t'.

Either way, the mode line should be good enough.

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com
Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

[...]

>> This breaks on Linux console, which has only eight color.  TBH, using
>> any color there actually breaks it, but using gray breaks it even more
>> since the text color is itself gray.
>
> Ah yes, this is the problem!  I thought about using ':inverse-video t'
> though that will be too intense.  Same for all colours you can use.
> Tough choice.
>
>> Do you think its makes sense to highlight the whole window in such
>> limited displays?  How about remapping the mode-line face in those
>> cases?  Then the highlightion won't be so chaotic.
>
> I think this is a better approach in this case.  Adding any colour to
> the mode line should be fine.  This includes the :inverse-video effect.

Done, 'error' face with :inverse-video.

> Another option is to change the style of the numbers shown on the mode
> line.  You can make the face you now have ':inherit error' or, if you
> want it to be more noticeable, ':inverse-video t'.
>
> Either way, the mode line should be good enough.

--
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: akib@hostux.social
Codeberg: akib
emailselfdefense.fsf.org | "Nothing can be secure without encryption."
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)